Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

Who ate my tulips?

juudyshouse2012
14 years ago

I am baffled about this...I have a bunch of tulips planted around my yard. This is the first year I've planted tulips because in the past, we have had many deer and elk. But last year we put in 7' deer fencing all around our property and I decided to plant tulips. We have not been bothered this year by the deer or elk and all my plants, shrubs and trees are leafing out beautifully. My yellow tulips are blooming, but the red ones have closed buds and are getting ready to open. This morning when I went out to look at them, the unopened red buds where off and laying on the ground right by the plants. It looked like the stem was just cut right below the bud. All of the yellow tulips are still in full bloom. I didn't see any hoof prints and the strange thing is that the buds were not eaten, just laying next to the plant. Could it be a chipmunk or a groundhog? I don't have any mounds from an underground tunnel digger, but I think I've seen a small critter like a chipmunk. Some of my young azaleas got eaten as well.

Any ideas?

Comments (4)