Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who ate my tulips?

Posted by judysgardens z7 PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 13:07

I am baffled about this...I have a bunch of tulips planted around my yard. This is the first year I've planted tulips because in the past, we have had many deer and elk. But last year we put in 7' deer fencing all around our property and I decided to plant tulips. We have not been bothered this year by the deer or elk and all my plants, shrubs and trees are leafing out beautifully. My yellow tulips are blooming, but the red ones have closed buds and are getting ready to open. This morning when I went out to look at them, the unopened red buds where off and laying on the ground right by the plants. It looked like the stem was just cut right below the bud. All of the yellow tulips are still in full bloom. I didn't see any hoof prints and the strange thing is that the buds were not eaten, just laying next to the plant. Could it be a chipmunk or a groundhog? I don't have any mounds from an underground tunnel digger, but I think I've seen a small critter like a chipmunk. Some of my young azaleas got eaten as well.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who ate my tulips?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 13:37

Perhaps squirrels?

I know they dug up *all* the bulbs I planted for my son. They didn't leave any to show aboveground.

o

Many years ago I had a dog who nipped them off...I saw her do it....that was an Airdale before we switched to more sensible Australian Cattle Dogs/heelers. I've also suspected crows were responsible for nipping off and dropping my daffodil flowers. jwww

o

rabbits and field mice. Once a couple of field mice managed to do very extensive damage in my garden in as little as 1 hour. Rabbits managed to cut off some young branches off my service berries.

o

These are the things that may be causing it. There is a dog that comes onto our property sometimes. I definitely have rabbits and chipmunks and lots of birds around. Do the rabbits eat tulips or would they just leave them next to the plant? I have never seen a squirrel on my property. It must be one of those things. Now, the question is, how do I stop it???? What about spraying the plants with some of that deer and rabbit deterrent that is made from natural ingredients like blood meal, garlic, cayenne pepper, etc.? Do those things work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here