Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ivy

Posted by bluewillow09 wa (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 13:18

I saw some variegated ivy at the nursery, which surprised me. Are there any types of ivy that are okay to plant here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ivy

Hedera canariensis and H. colchica are not considered invasive here. That's not to say it's wise to plant them... either would still be very difficult to remove if you decided later that you want it, after it had taken over a large area. Smaller-leafed variegated ivies are more likely forms of H. helix and should be avoided.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 10:16

I heartily second that!
Just because the leaves are variegated and smaller than regular Ivy, it doesn't mean they will spread slower or won't revert to the common Hedera helix.
Mike

o

Thanks for your input guys, this is what I suspected.

Yesterday I was at Lowes garden center and they also had ivy, in the big flats of ground covers. I must say it struck terror into my heart seeing it there.

It doesn't seem like places should be able to sell plants that are so invasive.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:46

The interpretation that is being followed at this point is that certain specific kinds of Hedera helix are perniciously weedy yet pretty much all the many others on the market here are to be taken as having little or no threat potential.

No comment.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:54

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here