Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosaapje

What is this vine?

bosaapje
12 years ago

I was driving by a neighbors house near my daughter's, and saw this vine climbing over the fence. First, it looked like a berry at a distance. I knew that was impossible in April, so we backed up. I spoke to the lady of the house and she didn't know the name of it either. Anybody have any ideas? It's beautiful and blooming heavily this time of year!

Comments (11)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I can't see your photo

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Must be a snowberry.

In a blizzard.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

The images is on the OP's computer. Won't work.

Try this method
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post a picture

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! Thank you Jean001. Let's try this again.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Akebia.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akebia

Here is a link that might be useful: akebia on wikipedia

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much! Wiki says it's an invasive plant. LOL Its the prettiest invasive I've had the opportunity of seeing! :)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Last time I planted one it was taken out by honey fungus. So much for invasive. I have never seen reseeding in this region. I have seen a big patch on unoccupied land across the street from Bainbridge Gardens. I assumed it all to be a single specimen, maybe originating with the nursery and not spontaneous.

Many kinds of popular garden plants originating in similar rainy summer climates of the Old World have gone bananas in the Amazonian summers of eastern North America. Few of these have done likewise out here, presumably because of the summer dryness. When you read something is invasive note what, specifically is meant by that in each instance and where geographically they are talking about. Often climbing plants like this one are depicted as invasive because they produce long, questing stems, rather than invade adjacent real estate with their progeny.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

bboy's point is very well taken - 'invasiveness' is very closely tied to location and with very few exceptions, what is considered invasive in one area of the country is seldom uniformly invasive in all other areas. And while we have our own invasive issues here in the PNW, we are fortunate we do not share the huge list of what can often be very ornamental garden additions but yet invasive plants along the east coast, the south and the midwest.

Akebia is a great vine for this area - in fact it is suggested by Garden Wise and the PNW Invasive Plant Council as a replacement selection for the truly invasive species Clematis vitalba and Polygonum albertii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Wise

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thank you Bboy and Gardengal. I think I'm going to try and find room here for one if that's the case. Oddly enough, it was mentioned yesterday on the show, "Garden Time" that airs in the Pacific Northwest and they said nothing about it being a problem. I'll have to see if I can find a start. There's a plant trade coming up this weekend in the Longview/Kelso area. Info is on the PNW Exchange forum. Maybe I'll find something there!

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Diana

• botann
    11 years ago

I planted one in damp ground in a grove of Vine Maples. After a few years I got tired of it because of lack of Fall color, and pulled the vine up and thought that was it. Nope. The vine had spread under the groundcover and popped up in several places. I pulled those up and still haven't got it all. I just haven't been determined enough to do a good job of eradicating it. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. The Akebia never did bloom. Not enough light.
    Mike

• bosaapje
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike - interesting. I got rid of a mint patch successfully years ago. It sounds like I could eradicate the Akebia if I needed to then. Horseradish is another story. Don't ask. :) It took YEARS...