Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant in hot area, with minimal watering

Posted by garrai81 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 13:35

The former owners of this house put cinder blocks and some grasses in a little patch between a driveway and a low wall.

See photo.

I would like to remove and blocks and dead grasses, and replace them with something that can take no water in summer, or little water.

This area gets full sun. It gets very warm, being stuck between the driveway and a wall.

Would anyone have any suggestions for low plants?

(I realize that I could just put gravel there, and be done with it.)

Thanks.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant in hot area, with minimal watering

See the little area with dead grasses in front...

o

One more

o

This is near Portland, Oregon.

o

I've had success with Penstemon 'Margarita BOP', Zauschneria garrettii, and Sisyrinchium bellum in hot spots like this. Some of the Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick) selections may also do nicely there.

Whatever drought-tolerant plants you put there, be sure to water a good 3x a month during the first summer.

o

I'd start off with making a flowerbed above the wall, uniting the three trees. Maybe plant a groundcover that will drape over the wall.
I can't determine the width of the strip you want to plant in nor the drainage. Any groundcover that can handle drought and sun will do, but if you can squeeze an upright plant or two in there that would go well with the planting above, you'd have a nice start on landscaping your yard. I like a sub-alpine theme. That's my favorite, so I'm biased.
Mike

o

Thanks, folks.

I appreciate the comments.

Mac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here