Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

landscape makeover & house color suggestions

oliveoyl3
10 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for improvements to this overgrown western WA forest landscape in need of a makeover. I couldn't resize the photos small enough to upload here, but the link should take you to a few photos.

The wood foundation 1985 manufactured home front faces south with right front corner directly east & back left corner west. The lawn area is weedy, compacted, rocky, mossy, acidic, and poorly drained, so we will reduce it and improve what lawn area we retain. We will build up, but not close to the house to make sure there is an area planting free for maintenance access as well as keep the wood foundation dry.

We plan to keep enough lawn to enjoy croquet, bocce ball, & toss balls with a small child, but don't need a baseball field or a putting green. The foundation beds appear to contain better soil with less rocks, but lack mulch & organic matter.

My ideas so far:
-Remove tall trees & vegetation too close to structures.

We've already cut down dozens of saplings, dug out an English holly 12" from the downspout (& the stump) as well as a sickly cherry tree that was right next to the driveway casting lots of shade on the blueberries. More brush and weeds will be continue to be removed such as blackberry & stinging nettles. We've lived nearby for the past 25 years, so are familiar with the ways of the forest.

-Relocate mature shrubbery off to the west side at least 15' from the detached garage where the forest is now (keep some native like salal, fern, mahonia, vine maples). If they survive transplant we will attempt to renewal prune after 4 years of malpruning by a tenant. If rhododendrons bloom before we get them moved we will finish in the fall along with moving the blueberries that were topped at 3' by previous tenant. Shrubbery includes camellia, pyracantha, David's viburnum, dwarf Alberta spruce & a dwarf pine. If we can make them fit we'll keep the spruce & pine, but spider mites & shade have distorted their growth.

-Improve path to front door to be level, wider, & a curve from driveway to door following path worn in grass now

-Possibly include a paver patio between garage & front door to include seating area, pondless fountain, and walking room instead of merging paths (driveway, garage, front door). The garage casts enough shade that grassy paths aren't going to work, but paths & evergreen groundcovers would though I don't want to create cover for rodents.

-Create curved planting beds in scale with the house and allowing maintenance access to windows & gutters, so not planting so close to the house or front landing deck. I plan to anchor each end with a small tree 10' away from the corners surrounded by 3 medium mounding shrubs and 5-7 small evergreen shrubs less than 2'. Will attempt to create a balanced varied informal bed on each side including year round interest plants, but won't be identical. I plan to fill in with perennials & annuals the first few years then move them out as shrubs grow.

We've been anticipating this move for several years, so have quite a collection of plants ready for transplanting. Specific plant suggestions are welcomed especially if they've done well for you. Yes, we have deer, but are considering fencing options.

-repair front landing footings & steps as sinking to the left side & needs a handrail

-replace front windows with double pane vinyl (currently 2 have broken seals & 1 has a broken pane)

-repaint the metal front door a dark plum raisin (not purple or red) over our dry summer, eventually repaint house a light neutral green if I can't get used to the brown & brown look.

What else would you suggest?

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

Comments (8)