Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking Iris.

Posted by anuparaj Zone 7 - PNW (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 13:58

How and when does one stake them?
I have never learnt to stake flowers, because I just don't like to.

My planting are so healthy that I have to keep thinning them. I have the loveliest collection of choice irises all over the place. Just stunning.

Until they flop over.

I never seem to find the right time to stake them. Is there anything I can do so that I do not need to stake them? If not, when exactly am I supposed to stake them?

Is this a fertilizer issues? I've seen stunning irises at local gardens with not a stake in sight. Strong healthy stems. What's going here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking Iris.

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 14:01

Some make heavier flowers than others. And all need full sun for best results. Insert and attach stakes before buds open and stalk bends or breaks, same as with other flowers.

o
RE: Staking Iris.

Thank you but I'm still wondering why my flower stalks are so weak and if they need more nutrients to strengthen them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here