Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus Gnats in Sea Soil

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 14:07

I just purchased a bag of sea soil for my garden from a reputable nursery. The day after I added it to my garden I noticed lots of gnats were flying around. I plan to advise the nursery but in the meantime, I need to get rid of the ones in my new garden. I set out a bowl of vinegar (if that will help) It's been raining a lot these days so I can't dry out my soil. I just planted 2 rose bushes that need to be watered so drying it out wouldn't be good for my roses. Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus Gnats in Sea Soil

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 23:05

It's normal for lots of gnat type things to be flying about this time of year. So perhaps it's coincidence rather than the sea soil.

Vinegar bowls won't help because these definitely aren't the fruit flies that flit around over-ripe fruit.

o

Thanks jean...
Is there any way to get rid of them?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 17:15

Most likely they're nothing to worry about. Frankly, gnats happen! :>)

o

Awesome! ...because if you're not worried about my gnats then I won't either. lol - Thanks very much jean. By the way, do they eat your plant leaves? I have recently planted a climbing rose and it looks like something has been chewing on a couple of new leaves that just opened. There are no aphids, I checked really good. Anyway, just a little curious about that.

o

Aphids don't chew on leaves. Neither do gnats. Most likely it's a caterpillar. Many moth caterpillars are experts at hiding, coming out at night to eat your plant's leaves.

I second the notion that gnats happen and it's probably just a coincidence that they happened when you bought a bag of soil. Lots of March flies out right now. In California they come out in March but here they don't come out til late April, still called March flies though. Little gnat like things.

In any case, fungus gnats are largely a problem of container plants, not plants in the ground. Containers are watered more often, and container mixes hold water really well, and it's those damp conditions that favor fungus gnats. Not so common in the ground.

o

I know I the gnats and aphids don't 'chew' on the leaves. - I don't know why I said that. Just now, I imagined a tiny green aphid with great big teeth. Caterpillar huh? Maybe I should check my roses at night with a flashlight. I thought about slugs too. Thanks for your thoughts about the gnats. I didn't know that fungus gnats were just in containers. That's good to know. (Must be those 'March' flies out in 'May')

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here