Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

Ahem. Mi-mi-mi. I'm In The Mooood For Spring...

blameitontherain
15 years ago

...simply because the sun's shining! Funny, but when it's shining, I'm in the mood for Spring.

Boy, every electric and gas powered garden appliance was in full force in our neighborhood over the weekend. Weed blowers, lawn mowers and chainsaws filled the air with the usual cacaphony of the first nice day of Spring in the Puget Sound area. While not exactly music to my ears, it was great to be out digging around and knowing many of my friends and neighbors were doing the same.

Braved the crowds at my first Fred Meyer Fuschia Frenzy this Saturday and now have several baskets stuffed with various starts. They'll be tucked under Remay at night while the weather is still frosty, but I have no problem imaging them exploding with color come May.

Springtime -- bring it on! What all did you all do over this blessedly sunny weekend?

With a song in her heart,

Rain

Comments (11)

• ellen_portland
    15 years ago

You are so funny!! Thanks for the laugh today- I needed it, got laid off last week- how am I going to support my planting habit???

We took a walk with our son and dog along Tom McCall Waterfront Park. EVERYONE was there LOL- embracing the strange glowing ball in the sky. Then came home and weeded and pruned the entire front and back.

My Saucer Magnolia tree and Royal Star Magnolia shrub burst into bloom- I felt like dancing!!!! I'm pleased, many things that looked dead are trying to come back, although it looks like I lost HALF my Osakazuki Japanese Maple-one side is gray with no leaf buds ;-(

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I went to the Gardenpolooza at Fir Point Farms in Aurora. It was packed! I didn't spend much though, bought a few Oriental hybrid lily bulbs.

Spent all day Sunday gardening. I'm very sore.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Maybe you should change your moniker to buyorsore888.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

That would work for this forum but might be weird on eBay! ;)

• dottyinduncan
    15 years ago

If I could sing I would join you. The past two days have been wonderful! Not to scare you off, but yesterday I was only in shorts and a tee shirt. We moved 3/4 of the pile of top soil in the driveway and the rest is going to top dress a lawn that is in serious trouble with moss, weeds and winter kill. The grass had its first cut and the place finally looks tidy. And, the seedlings are growing in the greenhouse and the veggie garden is just waiting for more warmth to plant. It was a good day.

• everblooming
    15 years ago

I was singing too and happily working like a dog! Good thing it only lasted 3 days! I weeded, edged, mowed, planted and am so darn sore today I can hardly move~

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hear you and feel your pain! The day after the first day of warm weather for me is like the day after my first gym work-out. The first day I'm digging, planting, weeding (ab crunching, cycling, jogging): No problemo. The day AFTER? Mucho problemo, o woe is mio. It is worth it, though, to see those rough spots get tidied -- both botanically and anatomically!

Ellen, I know you must be crushed by the damage to your acer. Did you see my reply about finding cheap native plants/trees in an earlier posting?

Still singing, albeit a bit less enthusiastically,

Rain

• ellen_portland
    15 years ago

Yes I did, thank you so much. I have passed the info along to them and also saved it for my garden planing. I'm going to have to really think about what I plant this year, since I lost my money supply to my habit. I just do everything smaller!!

• boxofrox
    15 years ago

Unfortunately I was out of town when Spring *allegedly* made it's brief appearance. Palm Springs and San Diego however were in full and quite glorious bloom. An old friend of mine had probably 30-40 young plumaria potted up which made me rather envious given the nature of our half-hardy tardiness :-(

I was pleasantly surprised to find a dozen different kinds of blooms upon my return home. That was Saturday right before the Easter deluge which quickly returned me to the reality check-out line ;-)

Friday on the waterfront in San Diego, my wife shot this springlike picture which quite accidentally caught the moment before my Polo was attacked ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1074775}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I love San Diego almost as much as Phoenix. Wish my father had not moved back here from Palm Springs....I think I saw him more there than now that he lives in Central Oregon...Hope you had a nice vacation. It rained while you were gone. LOL

• boxofrox
    15 years ago

The weather in San Diego was much like here, overcast and spitting a bit, just a dozen or so degrees warmer. Palm Springs was awesome with a couple of 90+ days mixed with 75-85 days. The boogie was spectacularly blooming everywhere on both sides of the mountains. We drove the Pines to Palms highway from PS to SD and much of the cactus was also in bloom. But you know, I still couldn't wait to get back to my own little Eden in anticipation of Spring. I got some inspiration from a water feature by the pool at our condo and am going to build my altered version as soon as I finish designing it :-)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH