Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over-wintered potatoes?

Posted by anita9 8 Seattle (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 14:25

Last spring I planted a lot of potatoes. I ended up having to go abroad for work from late summer until Christmas, and my housesitter never harvested the potatoes.

Now I have a lot of vines coming up. Can I get a good harvest this year if I let them do their thing?

We had no sign of disease or anything last year.

They are mostly hilled with straw rather than dirt if that makes any difference.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over-wintered potatoes?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 18:33

No inherent reason why you would not get a yield this year as well. The tuber is a way for the plant to winter over and live for more than one summer, same as with a flower bulb.

o

I've also got left over potatoes growing as I have in years gone by. They are great as they are very early new potatoes, scrubbed, boiled with a bit of mint and salt in the water, slathered with butter -- it's the best meal in the springtime.

o

I thought I would revive this thread, since a few Yellow
Finn potatoes that I left in the ground last fall are sprouting. I'm surprised, especially after that hard freeze we had in December. I think I'll just miss a few every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here