Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilydude

Hardy Plant Society sale on 4/11-12

lilydude
14 years ago

At the Portland Expo Center. My favorite sale of the year. 81 vendors this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy plant society sale

Comments (18)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting. I enjoy this sale too.

• lilydude
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I have an idea, if some of us gardenweb people wore a GW sticker or name tag we could say hello.

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

will be working as cashier asst Sunday 1 until closing...Judywww

• Ratherbgardening
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I may try to go since it's closer to home this time.

• xantippe
    14 years ago

Well, what did you all buy?

I got a little blueberry, a Ribes sanguineum (red flowering currant), a salal, an Osmanthus heterophyllus (Goshiki false holly), and a Chilean Glory Flower... this was the least damage I have ever done at a plant sale, but I sure could have done more!

• Ratherbgardening
    14 years ago

Nothing. The line to pay was way too long. Any idea what time of day it's less crowded? I'd guess the dinner hour. I was there early afternoon on Sat.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I didn't go. Might go this morning though....

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I got an Hebe 'Quicksilver', I actually selected 'Hebe' as genus to collect this year after reading the Hebe posts and looking up the hardy ones. I really wanted some that have purple flowers....:-( But didn't see any, and don't know where to get them either. Quicksilver does have a purple flower but probably not very significant judging from the description, I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

I also got a Heuchera 'Midnight Rose' and a Valerian 'Arterner Zuchtung' which is supposed to have a higher essential oil content and has purplish stems and pinkish flowers. I love the smell of the Valerian flowers, quite heady. But while I take it as capsules with Hops since I'm an insomniac, I don't dig the roots and make my own tea, which has a very strong taste. Maybe I should try propagating some from seed and try digging it. Anyway, all these were priced well. Last year I got One Green World to bring a couple of Persimmon trees to the sale and saved on shipping charges.

The Clark County Home and Garden Idea Fair will be in a couple of weeks at the Clark County Fairgrounds, so that will be another chance to look for plants.

The lines were long but not too bad when I was there. It was really crowded, though, so hard to look at things. One advantage of the CCH&GIF is it opens on Friday so is not as crowded for those who can go then.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Please post the CCH&GIF info. I can go to that on Friday and will go. Doesn't Debbie usually do a booth? Silver Star Vinery clematis nursery? I think I met her there one year. Nice gal with great Clemmies from Yacolt.

I didn't go to the sale this weekend. Why have it on Easter? Too much other stuff to do. Already spent too much money on a ham. LOL

I love my Heuchera 'Midnight Rose' I got it free two years ago at Portland Nursery as part of the Le Tour Des Plants.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Really silly. I was entering my new purchases in my database and found I bought Midnight Rose last year!!! Arggh. Well it was really appealing. I'll have to go see how last year's is doing.

You can check the exhibitors on the website. The fair is free, parking is $5, and you can take a bus from some locations to avoid the parking fee. The park-n-rides can fill up, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home and Garden Idea Fair

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I finally found the plant vendors, I don't see Silver Star on it. Someone was selling nice clems at the Master Gardener sale last year, Mother's Day weekend at the WSU extension site.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant vendors

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Is that on 78th? I'm planning to go to a Master Gardener sale in Vancouver on 78th on Mother's Day weekend.

I've done the Canby one over and over and want to try a new one.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Yes, it's at 1919 NE 78th Street, a few blocks east of Hwy 5. I'm having trouble finding the hours of the sale. It may start at 8, 9 or 10 am until 4 pm. There are a lot of volunteer plants, the Chrysanthemum society plants, and a few vendors.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

The Columbia River Daylily club is going to have plants there. They don't have the hours on their site though.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I called: 9:00 on Saturday and 10:00 on Sunday.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I stopped by their booth yesterday and told them I couldn't find the time on their website so maybe they will do something about it.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I went to the Home and Garden Idea Fair. Bought a piece of art to decorate my fence. I had seen it last year but was too cheap to buy it.