Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildebloem

Portland houseplant nurseries

wildebloem
14 years ago

I will be in Portland this month and hope to visit some houseplant nurseries. I have not been there for some time and will likely only have a day, so I would rather not rely on the yellow pages.

I am particularly interested in citrus and fragrant violets, but I rarely meet a houseplant I do not like, so all tropical source suggestions are very welcome.

Comments (8)

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Rare Plant Research moved from Portland to near Canby a few years ago. They have a wide slection of tropicals and succulents. But your timing is off; their 2010 open house is in May. They do have online sales and an image catalog on their website. Just Google the name.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

If any one place is better than any other as far as houseplant selection goes I haven't been there yet! I hope someone else knows more than I do about houseplants in Portland...

I'm sorry to say that I find the selection of houseplants and tropicals here to be sad. Though some nurseries are catching up with tropicals. I saw a gorgeous variegated calamondin at Hughes Water Gardens the other day but it was too big for my tiny greenhouse. They had a variegated lemon too. Almost all local nurseries carry some citrus though, mostly from Monrovia. It is early for most to carry much though.

I was a florist who started out in houseplants (specialty store/interior maintenance) for over twenty years.

I started in Phoenix and moved to Portland in 1985. The selection of available houseplants/tropicals at wholesale dropped by more than half with the move, probably more. I was so surprised at how few choices there were here.

I can only assume it is because the gloomy skies here can make growing houseplants difficult to say the least unless you have lights or a greenhouse. I have three in the house myself and that is the least I've had since I was twelve. My first apartment in Phoenix had a couple hundred.

There are still easy to grow common plants that I've never seen offered for sale here that I sold and grew in Phoenix. Lots of different Philodendrons, Sansevierias and Aglaonemas for example. Sansevieria cylindrica was really popular here last year or the year before at Yard, Garden and Patio Show and I had one back in 1982 and it was no big deal. Not a trendy plant at all.

I find the same plants, from the same wholesale growers at every retailer. Independent garden centers, grocery stores and big boxes almost all carry foliage plants from British Columbia. What varies is the pricing. With the big boxes also trucking in 10" foliage from Florida to die as soon as you get it home because it isn't acclimated. There were a few local growers for foliage but to the best of my knowledge they are now closed, the Canadians grow more varieties anyway.

Portland Nursery on Division does have a big greenhouse has a lot of houseplants, more than anywhere else I know but their selection still does not compare to what I found in Phoenix AZ in the early 80's.

Logee's Greenhouses online has the best selection I've ever seen but they are very expensive for small pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Logees

• wildebloem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both. I got "lucky": last month's planned trip fell through. It appears I will go at a far better time. I will definitely check Rare Plant Nursery and Portland Nursery.

As for the supply in this area: I used to live in California and yes, a warmer climate is much more conducive to many types of plants. Before that, I used to live in the Netherlands and although its climate is similar to much of the northwest climate, we are very well known for many types of plants, including indoor plants. I assume there is less interest in tropicals here or at least not enough to make it profitable to produce more.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Portland Nursery: 90th & SE Division Street.

Rare Plant Research: Their open house was this past weekend, May 15/16. You might try calling them to arrange a visit, otherwise the website is it until next year.

• opticcurve
    13 years ago

Artemisia is a great shop that specializes in indoor gardening and terrariums. They have really interesting things.

Here is a link that might be useful: artemisia garden nursery

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I've never heard of Artemisia, I'll have to check it out. I love terrariums. Been looking for a cheap container for one for awhile now.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

This place is fairly near Portland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Cactus and Succulents

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

in this listing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon's 2009 Retail Nursery Guide

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer