o
flower hairs

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 15:26

I'm posting this question here because:
A: There are so many really smart people here
B: The botany forum doesn't look particularly active
C: I live here

Flowers like Pasque flower and Flowering-red Currant have tiny hairs. What are they called--technical term--and what is their function?
Also, any links or citations would be great!

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flower hairs

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 15:41

Different technical terms are used for different types of hairs, which will be used to describe the hairs on these particular flowers depends on what these hairs are like in each case. Often plant parts will have more than one kind of hair present.

o

The technical botanical term is 'trichome', but that just describes a generalized plant appendage - it can include plant hairs, root hairs and a variety of other similar growths. There are many more terms to describe the type or appearance of these hairs including glabrous, hirsute, tomentose, downy, pubescent, etc. Several basic functions or advantages of having surface hairs can be listed - keeping grazing predators at bay, repelling some insect pests, a method of attachment to support structures/organisms, a method of (modest)cold protection, reflecting heat, collecting available moisture in very dry or arid climates and protecting against surface winds, thereby reducing evaporation. Sometimes multiples of these tasks are accomplished depending on where the hairs are located, their density and specific structure.

Try Googling 'trichomes' for additional details :-)

o

The correct answer is C.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:52

Thanks all for the responses.
gardengal48--Great info! I did Google "trichomes" and it was very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here