Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pine bark fines?

Posted by maltby (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 16:10

where can I get the ingredients for al tapla's mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pine bark fines?

Not an answer, but here are the facts:
Pine bark fines is a common potting mix ingredient in Al's region. But not in the NW.

So if you locate a source, shipping fees will be sizable.

o

I used the soil PEP at Home Depot sold as soil condition in the green & white bags. Also a blue bag called garden prep. Worked for me & less acidic than the pine.

o
from the container forum

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg031028425011.html?22

Nice post by someone local trying al's mix. She uses reptobark, but she is also doing the gritty mix and not the 5-1-1.

Corinne, I checked out the soil PEP, it seemed a little overly broken down to me

o

Not sure what you're wanting to plant, but hope my experience helps you decide.

I used the PEP as part of the mix with potting soil for perennial divisions of creeping campanula, yellow corydalis, ajuga, variegated ivy, & groundcover euonymous.

I also used it to make a mixture for potting up bargain spring bulbs in large containers on New Year's Eve & topped pots with 2" of it as mulch for winter. The riot of color from these late planted bulbs is a bit a bit floppy now either from rain or lack of sunshine. Perhaps, the PEP isn't solid enough to hold the stems firm in the pots in the wind. :o) Either way, I plan to plant the bulbs in the ground after foliage dies back.

For my large cedar permanent containers I put bagged medium bark through leaf shredder to get fines for Al's mix last spring. The upright fuchsias are showing nice growth as are hosta, bergenia, carex, acorus, heuchera, & dwarf daylilies. I topped them with my homemade compost in the fall & removed the excess this spring. I don't plan to replant them for some time, so hope it works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here