Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graycam

Natural Moss Removal?

graycam
13 years ago

Hi,

On the north side of my property, I've got moss growing in undesired areas, such as my driveway and the sidewalk leading to my front door.

I'd like to remove without chemicals. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cam.

Vitoria BC

Comments (9)

• tanowicki
    13 years ago

Unless you want to scrub it off, I'd try power washing.

• sundevil
    13 years ago

Look for lawn products with iron, they will be named something like Moss-Out.

• jean001
    13 years ago

No, No,No! No iron on sidewalks or other hard surfaces. Such products will permanently stain. Not a good thing.

Instead, obtain a product for hardscapes. The catch, here, is that such products damage plants.

Bottom lines:
    1. When it comes to removing moss,be certain to use the appropriate product for that surface, plant or hardscape.
    2. The moss will return!
    3. And return again! It's a normal inhabitant of the Northwest.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

There are various natural enzyme products available for moss and algae removal. Check your local box store - they typically have an assortment. Or powerwash the area.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

Gardengal, can you tell me any brand names for moss & algae removal? It's that gross time of the year again! My DH is afraid that power washing will dislodge the stones in the exposed aggregate concrete on our patios, but the weak power washer means you have to do it inch by inch. I have used bleach and 30-second cleaner but neither is satisfactory.

• art1
    13 years ago

There's a product called Wet & Forget that gentle cleans, it takes some time but wonâÂÂt damage any exterior surface.

Just apply it to any exterior surface and forget about it. Mother Nature does the rest. The wind and rain gently clean the surface.

It has a pH of 8, Wet & Forget is close to neutral. Most moss, mold, mildew and algae removal products are either highly acidic (pH 1) or highly caustic (pH12.) Caustic or acidic products can damage the surface being cleaned. Wet & Forget is very gentle and safe to apply to any surface.
    May take some time to complete the job but it works fairly well, with very minimal effort, just spay it on with a pump sprayer and your done.

You can read more on this product at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Wet & Forget

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

i don't know what your definition of "chemical" is. but oxiclean is pretty benign stuff, and controls moss. it also does lots of other things and is cheap.

although, as people have pointed out below, moss grows here.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

This isn't quite moss, but we just had our patios power washed with a pressure washer and a "head" that uses water pressure to scrub the surface, sorry I don't know what the proper name is. It worked amazingly well, especially on exposed aggregate and brick patios. As to the moss, won't lime sprinkled on kill it, then perhaps use this machine to finish it off?

• hallerlake
    13 years ago

I'd use a good stiff raking followed by a weak pressure washing.

People spend good money getting concrete stained. What's sacred about the color of concrete? It's looks pretty darn unnatural to me. Heck, if the moss is not slippery, I'd leave it.