Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conifer border in suburban/rural-ish setting

Posted by maki1122 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 16:22

Hi, all. We live on a 1+1/2 acre plot about 20 miles northeast of Seattle, next to an unsightly manufactured home north of us. There is probably about 50 feet between our homes, and the portion I'm concerned with is about ~20 feet wide, filled with some thin, tall Red Alder trees, ferns and residual branches, stumps, from the invasive blackberry vines, etc we cleaned up in there last year (still battling the vine "sprouts" but they're increasingly less aggressive w/ongoing physical management).

I would like to screen the trailer by planting a conifer border, probably going back about 75 long. Thinking a mix of Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar, Serbian Spruce, Deodar Cedar, Incense Cedar, Leyland Cypress. I believe these are all good with sun/part shade, and are quick growers. Considering Grand Fir. None of these would shade our home and size is not a problem, but I'm wondering about
spacing, placement, rate of growth, etc. Just welcoming thoughts, ideas, comments????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conifer border in suburban/rural-ish setting

A mixed conifer border is a great idea for privacy sceening - more interesting than a single species, less inclined to spread pathogens or insect issues from one species to another, better for wildlife and if one dies, not an obvious 'hole' in the pattern...relatively easy to replace. A staggered or zig-zag planting will be visually more interesting than a straight row of conifer 'soldiers'. You might even want to fill in the gaps with some deciduous plants (more towards the foreground) to increase the visual interest.

Some of your proposed list are more/less tolerant of shade than others and growth rate will vary widely. Best to research each species you choose and decide placement and spacing based on mature spread/height and light and/or water requirements. Locate plants with similar needs together.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 15:06

A few of those you listed could fill the whole area in time, just by themselves.

Unless you planted dwarf or slow-growing cultivars.

o

good point, if its only 20 feet wide, you might want to just pick two large trees, then plant some smaller evergreen shrub trees that can eventually work as an understory.

you may want to consider Umbellularia californica for a larger tree as well if you don't want all conifers.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 23:33

Larger, indeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here