Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Veggies to Direct Seed right now?

Posted by juliamay67 8a - Woodinville, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 16:24

We've had a few sunny days and my beds are weeded. What veggies can I direct seed right now for some success?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Veggies to Direct Seed right now?

Peas, greens (lettuce, spinach, mesclune, arugula), most root crops (carrots, radishes, beets, etc.). And still good to plant seed potatoes and onions sets and starts. The cool season brassicas like cabbages, cauliflower and broccoli are best from starts rather than seed at this point.

And if you hurry, you can start indoors seeds of the warm season crops - beans, tomatoes, squashes, peppers etc. These need much warmer conditions than we have now to be planted out directly but still time to get them to a good size indoors by the time the appropriate weather arrives, usually around the beginning of June.

o

Carrot seed was planted outdoors here today.

o

Peas, lettuce, kale, carrot, onions here!

o

I've had peas in for about a month and they are about three inches. Beets about the same time and I am just seeing them pop up, which is disappointing because I planted them where I was planning my tomato rotation and hoping to harvest before It was time to plant the toms but not sure if this is going to work. Two weeks ago I planted 2 varieties of lettuce, cilantro, chard, kale and Arugula and the last is all I am seeing so far. Started potatoes yesterday. Have artichokes and Gladstone onion starts from the nursery sitting outside waiting to go in.

o

Hence the hazards of planting too early; March here was the 2nd wettest in 70+ years, this keeps the soil wetter and cooler than normal for April 1 this year.

Seattle had their wettest march in ? years also.

The past 3 weeks has had mild days and most nights; the soil is shaping up. When planting 2 Boysen berries about 3 weeks ago, I encountered wet soil, wetter than I would have liked to plant seed in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here