Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron valaspis - how to tell if it's dead

Posted by klew Z7b/8 NE PDX O (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 16:35

My beloved valaspis (http://www.hirsutum.info/rhododendron/hybrids/detail.php?id=7016) was hit hard this year by a couple of late freezes. It's an early bird, usually blooming and putting on foliage in Feb.

All the buds are dead, most of the leaves are gone and the few that are left are either brown or a slowly browning green.

This is one of my favorite plants. Please tell me there still may be hope (but don't lie).

Thanks.

klew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron valaspis - how to tell if it's dead

Scratch bark. Underneath green, good. Brown, bad.

Dan

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 22:03

Said to be hardy to 10 degrees F. Despite all those who insist otherwise plants only hardy to the double digits are not able to persist without incident on most sites in this region. Sooner or later what you had happen, happens. That is your basic problem. If it sprouts later consider growing it as a container specimen, that you can put under cover during the worst cold.

When I was active in the rhododendron society here kinds hardy to 10 degrees were referred to as "tender" and "California specials". This past winter the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden, south of Seattle got down around that temperature - and it shows among whole sets of certain affiliations, like most of the big-leaved Falconera and Grandia types.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 14:01

I had some for a few years. They eventually froze out.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here