Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Requesting Portland Plant Identification

Posted by euphony 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 16:39

Hello I hail from Portland, OR and have recently found this plant growing as a weed. I know most of the weeds in my yard but haven't come across this plant before and have been waiting for the flowers to appear for an ID.

They are 4-petaled flowers with pubescent stalks. Opposite leaf arrangement. Serrated, reniform leaves with petiole.

I suspect it might be some kind of Phlox but what kind? The flowers look an awful lot like "Dame's Rocket" but the leaves are opposite on this mystery plant whereas Dame's Rocket is alternately leaved. Can anyone help me track down this ID?

I can take more pictures by request and might just go take some more for fun anyways.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Requesting Portland Plant Identification

It looks like it might be a Money plant. Here is an image:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=money+plant+image&view=detail&id=D0127B0010023EC24DC1EACB22920DDF263153A1&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR&qpvt=money+plant+image

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 21:53

Yes: Lunaria annua.

o

My favorite plant as a kid (once the money appeared).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here