Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what grows well in the shade under rhododendrons?

Posted by westover Portland OR (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 16:56

I've been thinking about the bare ground under my large rhododendrons -- under their north side, that is, where the shade is rather deep. One epimedium plant seems to do okay, but there's nothing else except a few half-hearted weeds. I wonder what plants (if any) have worked well for others under rhododendrons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what grows well in the shade under rhododendrons?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 17:04

Similar low woodland or forest carpeters. Maybe try Viola sempervirens, I've seen that in large bare areas under Thuja plicata - and it's a cute plant.

The shrubs won't like much digging into their roots, nor will they want to be buried with a new layer of soil.

o

I have ferns, hostas, ajuga, and dicentras combined with my rhodies.

I plant from 4" pots to reduce root disturbance.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, May 1, 09 at 0:46

Hardy Cyclamen looks good for me.

o

Vancouveria

o

I have a lovely patch of Lily of the Valley under part of one of mine, denigrated in another thread but a lovely, tenacious and weedfree running plant. Wintergreen can be a lovely quality groundcover, and has flowers and fruit. Some other very successful dry shade plants for me are hardy geraniums such as microrrhizum, and groundcover comfrey, Symphytum ibericum/ grandiflorum, which has the ability to suppress weeds, even grasses. If you plant it you probably will never get rid of it.:-) It is blooming now.

o

We grow a large Turkish Squash,called Adapazari Squash.You can read about it on the GardenWeb/Heirloom Forum. The leaves are Large Dark and Beautiful. It gets 20-30 ft in length and we weaveg it in and around Rhodies and other Plants. At the end of the year you will have one large Squash per plant. My biggest last year was 54 lbs. If anyone interested i have plenty of seeds I could send for free and no Postage necessary.
Jim

o

Wintergreen! (Gaultheria procumbens) Great berries.

o

If you'd like some Lily of the Valley you are welcome to visit me and dig some up. FREE. ;) ;) ;)

o

Abkhazi garden in Victoria has half a garden under mature rhodos. Arisaema, geranium, podophyllum, cyclamen, viola, erythronium, uvularia, polygonatum, dicentra... the list is endless. Forest understory perennials is what you want.

o

Cornus canadensis has crept under my large old rhodie and is very sweet.

I also have English bluebells under another, planted by the previous owner. They aren't my favorite because they self-seed and even small ones are almost impossible to pull, but they look great when they bloom at the same time as the pink rhodie. I am trying to remember to rip them out, foliage and all, before they go to seed and hope to control the spreading somewhat that way. Other than that, they are absolutely zero care.

o

If you go up to the Seattle area, stop on your way at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden in Federal Way. They've got 22 acres of rhodies underplanted with more things than I can enumerate.
I recently acquired some Beesia, an evergreen groundcover with little white flowers. It looks a lot like Asarum. I'm also a huge fan of hardy cyclamen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here