Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Grove Compost for peppers

Posted by Siouxzn 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:15

Originally posted in the wrong thread. oops:

I found an old thread here regarding Cedar grove compost:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg0509505231248.html?31

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this stuff recently. It appears that in the past it was very hot (steaming) and usually full of plastic bits and glass. Yet when I talk to others they swear by it. Not sure if I should order some or not.

I have a new planter I have to fill that is 23' by 6' so I am looking to fill it with close to 5-6 yards (20 inches total depth).

OR, does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get good quality soil for the planter. the problem I have is I cannot mix my own due to space limitations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Grove Compost for peppers

Hello Siouxzn!

About a month ago I purchased a bag of Cedar Grove compost as an addendum to homemade container mix for my patio garden. No plastic bits, just rich, black compost. I had the same concern. I read product reviews on Home Depot and Lowes websites'. From what I can tell, the more recent reviewers seem to report no plastic bits. Cedar Grove has likely improved their process over the years.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

o

You don't want just compost - far too much organic matter and no mineral soil contribution. Will shrink and compact excessively during the growing season and may very well retain too much water.

Both Pacific Topsoils and Cedar Grove blend planting mixes that combine compost with sandy loam and usually some sort of drainage enhancer. These are perfect for raised beds and sometimes go by the name of garden mix or 3-way mix.

And with that quantity of soil needed you want to buy in bulk for sure!! Bagged products will be 2-3 times the cost of bulk soils. And when you need multiple yards, that adds up fast.

o

5-6 cubic yards of 3- or 4-way mix can be had for under $200 at various places.

I calculate over 8 cubic yards for the dimensions you listed.
7.5 cubic yards is one "unit", likely the most inexpensive way to purchase.

o

Thank you for the input guys! I did get a quote from Pacific Soils for the special garden mix.
Larry, I have some fill that I am putting into the planter at the bottom, so I wouldn't need the full 8 yards. But it is just a guess at this point, I won't know until its done (I have the block showing up tomorrow).

It is going to be a busy weekend building this thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here