Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pillow of goo with eggs

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 17:22

Twice in the last month or so, I've come across a pillow of goo (about 6 inches square) with what looks like quite a number of eggs held in suspension. The first time it was hanging from a rhodie and the second--today--it was on the ground in front of the rhodie. A friend said the description sounded like tent caterpillars, but I haven't been able to find a photo of them in this form to confirm. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pillow of goo with eggs

Not tent caterpillars.

any chance of pictures?

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 18:50

I realize now that I passed up a terrific educational opportunity, but, frankly, I was so grossed out that I hurried to get rid of them before even thinking about my camera!

o

Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 15:03

morz8--a fellow NWer--came up with what I think is probably the answer (on the pest forum). It probably was tree frog eggs. But now I feel bad that I tossed them over the fence into the woods.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 14:39

Maybe someone on the other forum has a good formula for frog spray.

o

Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 17:05

Yea! I was able to dig it out intact and wash it off a little. Any thoughts?

Photobucket

o

Pacific Chorus Frog eggs. My little ponds out front are full of them but I've also found them in plants where there has been standing water.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 16:18

Put it where the hatchlings can fall into a pool or pond.

o

Thanks for this educational post. Our native frogs are in so much trouble with the infestation of giant frogs that I would hate to disturb their eggs, should I be lucky enough to find some.

o

Again, from another thread, not frog eggs.

Dan

o
Salamander

I sent the picture off to WSU expert and here is his take:

"From the size and appearance of the glob, I would say it is probably an egg mass from one of our common salamanders, Ampbystoma gracile, the Northwestern salamander. There is an image on the page at http://share3.esd105.wednet.edu/rsandelin/Fieldguide/Animalpages/Amphians/Salamanders.htm
I suspect that raccoons may have been prospecting in the pond and carried the eggs some distance. They are possibly distastful so were just left where they were dropped. Alternatively, if there are any children in the area, they may have tossed the eggs out."
The Slater Museum has a good photo, too, at http://slatermuseum.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html
cheers,
dave pehling

Here is a link that might be useful: Salamanders

o
the second link, to Slater museum

scroll down to see another picture of the egg mass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slater musuem

o

Salamander or treefrog they are both native amphibians that should be welcomed and not tossed over the fence ;).

o

Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 11:44

Thank you so much! I will put them back in or near the edge of the pond.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 12:34

Nancy Ness from our local WSU extension thought they looked more like salamander too: "They look like salamander eggs to me. According to "Plants and Animals of the Pacific Northwest" by Eugene Kozloff, all our frogs and toads lay their eggs in water. Salamander are more terrestrial. "

Apparently salamanders do eat mosquito larvae so not a bad thing to have :)

o

Interesting. Dang coons!

Hopefully the eggs haven't dried out and will continue to develop.

Dan

o

I have found frog eggs outside of my ponds recently. Whether the froggies were confused because of all the rain/standing water or whether a raccoon transported them they were not where they were supposed to be, in the water. I dumped them all back into one of the ponds. I have many small and container ponds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here