Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon in hoophouse ?

Posted by compulsivegrower 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 18:39

Hello PNW gardeners

Has anyone in Zone 8 grown Watermelons in a hoophouse successfully ? I know there are obvious challenges like pollination & heat but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it and what the results were ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon in hoophouse ?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:19

Friend has done it north of Seattle for years. Last time I visited was including a circulating ventilation system that used the hot air between the outer covering and the soil to heat the soil.

o

Thanks for response bboy, but I really have no idea what you're tryin to say ?! Your friend heated the soil with some sort of system ?

o

In our 4-H garden, we had Yellow Doll ripen without any protection. Accidently piled some darkish wood on the north side of the watermelons and they really warmed up.
This year we will use a small hoophouse, black plastic to warm the soil before putting in seedlings and use the dark wood once it gets warmer outdoors. The kids will start the seeds next week in a greenhouse.

o

Great to here cedar wa ! I think I am going to try to grow them this year

o

Yellow Doll and another orange-fleshed small melon did well here several years ago with no coverings. Started indoors with heat. Planted out early June, ripened in late September.

These are the small "icebox"-type melons, the bigger stuff will likely need all kinds of coverings.

Cottontail melon did well.

o

I planted the heirloom variety in 2012 (doing again this year-13) right on the ground, uncovered and it gave 3 watermelons! I was told to get the variety called "Sugar Baby". Although it didn't ripe on the vine, I picked and left in the counter in my kitchen and in the end of Nov. beginning of December I cut it open and it was red, flavorful and filled with seeds :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here