Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shredded paper as mulch?

Posted by goofyisgreen Z8 PacNW (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 18:43

I'd like opinions or suggestions regarding the contemplated use of shredded old papers (business 8/5 x 11 with either inkjet or laserjet ink) as mulch or a soild amendment in the garden.

Is this advisable or inadvisable, and why? Will the inks cause any problems (papers are between 5 and 15 years old)? Also, how will/would adding this type of mulch or soil amendment affect the nutrient availability & content of the existing soil, particularly as relates to N-P-P and the trace minerals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shredded paper as mulch?

I would not try using shredded paper as a mulch because much of it would blow into my neighbor's yards.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 4:38

The Bottom Line
Newspaper and cardboard sheet mulches can be effective for annual beds if they are properly
maintained.
Sheet mulches can prevent water movement and gas exchange if they are too wet or too dry.
Use site-appropriate mulch materials. Permanent, ornamental landscapes, non-maintained sites,
and restoration areas are not appropriate locations for newspaper and cardboard sheet mulches.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of Paper-Based Sheet Mulch

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 7:14

Shredded is a different application than sheet mulching. I see no harm in the addition of shredded paper in the soil other than maybe the ink toxicity, if it exists. Whether the ink is bad or good is what the OP is asking. That, I don't know. If the ink is good I see no harm in it though.
I have never used paper as a mulch or additive. It seems like a lot of work for a little organic gain. My paper goes in the recycle bin.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 12:28

Will still pack down like grass clippings and have other characteristics of paper.

o

PDX east wind will unpack it, unless it has transformed to paper mache'.

o

Thanx for the responses. I will weigh them all before acting, although I'm leaning against, just was hoping I could get something beneficial after the shredding machine.

Into the recycle bin, it looks like.

o

shredded paper makes an excellent addition to a compost pile, and especially worm bins. Its a good source of carbon when leaves or straw isn't available.

o

I can see it used in a compost pile. I used some shedded paper once for a banana plant. I could see something wasn't right with the plant so I dug it out.

The dirt and paper it was in was so hot and saturated it freaked me out probably as much as the poor banana plant! It responded well after I changed the soil.

o

goofyisgreen .....

Google "The Dark Side of Lasagna Gardening"

In regards to paper use in the garden, and what it means to recycling.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 8:14

Bboy I said I didn't see any harm in the addition to shredded paper IN the soil, not ON it. It can be spaded in, for instance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here