Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butternut squash

Posted by martchej none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 18:53

I live in Portland and want to grow butternut squash. I've started seeds in peat pots and have 6 seedlings now. When should I plant in the garden bed? seems to wet and cold right now. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butternut squash

Yes, the soil is too wet and cold here for beans, squash, corn, etc. Another 4 to 6 weeks and all should be fine.

Squash, pumpkins, melons, cucumbers can be fussy to transplant, you will have to put your seedlings into larger (4 to 6") pots soon to give the roots space and the plants more time to await better outdoor conditions.

Or you can plant them out now and go through the rigor of using plastic cover, cloches, etc. Birds sometimes peck at these very young seedlings, best to have them covered anyway.

Butternut (and other squashes) seed can be planted directly in the ground in late May here and with a decent summer, the squash will turn light brown by 1 October. Then it is best to store the squash in an 80-degree space for a couple of weeks to complete ripening and enhance long-term storage.

o

"Growing Your Own Food" is a helpful publication from Oregon State University.

It's at http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/21092

See page 7 for a chart w/ planting dates.

Here is a link that might be useful: grow your own pub

o
RE: butternut squash -

Need to add -- Portland is in Region 2

o

Also, start loosening up your soil and turn the top few inches over every week or so rather than waiting until near planting time. Getting air into it will help it warm up and be more hospitable to seeds or seedlings. Winter squash needs to bloom in June and fill out by August here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here