Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Black Mondo Grass disappointment

dottyinduncan
12 years ago

I have some of this growing in a flower bed and in a half barrel. But it grows slowly from runners and it isn't filling into a "dense mat" as the PR people say. It sort of disappears into the brown of the soil/mulch. Have you any suggestions about how to thicken up the patch and what complementary plants to show it off more?

Comments (9)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Mine in full sun does better than partial shade, much thicker. I pair it with yellow foliage.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Or silver.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can you give me the names of the silver and yellow plants that recommend please?

• jean001a
    12 years ago

A few --

Silver - lamb's ears, any of them

Yellow --
    Yellow sedges, Luzulas; grasses; bulbs (daffs, crocus)
    Iris pallida "aureomarginata'

Also consider reds & oranges & greens.

Bottom line: You gotta go to local garden centers, if only to look! (I dare you to come home empty handed.)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yes, the easiest way to come up with plant combinations is to compare what's in stock at local garden centers. Of course, if something is in bloom there at a different time than it will bloom in your garden that could complicate things, if you match it up with other items and then it doesn't correspond with them the following year. With some common, short-lived flowerings, like those of rhododendrons you need exact timing to catch the peak bloom

With evergreen foliage you don't have this limitation, of course.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Looks nice paired with variegated japanese sedge or planted with succulents, sedum "Cape Blanco" would make a nice contrast. Sempervivums or echeverias also look good with black mondo grass in containers but echeverias would need winter protection in our neck of the woods. Black Mondo Grass IS a very slow grower, I have a fairly large clump of it now but it took years. Chlorophytum comosum variegata is said to be hardy here, but I've never tested it...yet :).

Annette

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate the names of plants, it helps me research their properties before I go to the nursery. Also, to check if they are deer resistent. Thanks all.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have it with Sedum 'Lemon Ball', a golden thyme whose name escapes me and with Sagina subulata 'Aurea' all in full sun.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

It is one of the slowest growing plants at our place. Here's what I do to encourage the best growth -- give it what it prefers moist soil in part to full sun. Mulch 2x a year with compost & water during dry spells. Leave the flowers & seeds to self sow though I've not seen seedlings probably because of the mulch I add.

Earlier this year we moved golden creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia �Aurea� under & around the Black Mondo for contrast. I plan to keep an eye on it to make sure the grass isn't over run with it. I thought about the golden lamium, but decided on the lowest growing plant.