Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this insane grass that's suddenly everywhere?

Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 19:05

All of a sudden I've got outbreaks of a blue-green grass. It's got long runners that are like tough little cords, and are usually brown like dead grass. It roots frequently along the runners.

Wherever it gets established, the roots form a really dense mat, so I'm pulling out big chunks of garden soil to get rid of it. I can tell I'm not getting out all the roots too, they are enthusiastic too.

It has a distinctive dusty odor that reminds me of hay. For this reason I was thinking it might be brom.

I'm trying to get it out wherever it shows up, but it's gotten into some tough areas. It has made its way into a rock garden, where I might have to pull apart the rocks to get all the roots out.

Am I doomed? :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this insane grass that's suddenly everywhere?

• Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 11:00

You can try putting some roundup on a rag and wearing a rubber glove to apply it to the grass blades. According to the information as I understand it, it will poison the roots, kill it, then stop being poisonous. After a couple weeks have elapsed, you can pull the grass out and the roots should be dead.

o

A friend had an interesting idea, but I don't know how practical/safe it is...he suggested using the rubber dishwashing gloves that have a fleece lining...turn them inside out & put Round-Up on the lining and rub the grass.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 12:40

That inside-out-glove thing isn't a good idea. The chemical goes right through.

Instead use an applicator made for the purpose of wipe-on application of herbicides.

Or purchase a paint brush which you dedicate to the purpose of paint-on application of weed killers.

o

• Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 15:12

Ah, yes. I have done the paintbrush/roundup thing before, with ivy and blackberries that were embedded in a retaining wall. I hadn't considered it because I was hesitant to use roundup anywhere near plants I valued highly. I might have no choice this time!

Have any of you run into a grass like this?

o

I think I have this grass, or something very similar to it, though I'm not exactly sure what it is. I've been scraping it all up with the backhoe into a giant pile so I can be sure it's really all out of there before I plant anything. Then I'm replacing the soil with some other piles of topsoil that don't have this grass and certain other weeds I'm trying to get rid of. The giant pile will be covered with groundcover cloth for a couple years before I make it into my cactus garden.

In your case, I'd suggest roundup and perhaps multiple applications of it. If you're concerned about valuable plants you might be able to put a sheet of cardboard between the grass and the plant before you spray, for larger plants. You might consider digging up some smaller plants and keeping them in pots temporarily so they'll be out of harm's way. You'd better get on top of it now before it's too late!!!!

o

I suspect that what you have is Reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacea). It is pretty awful stuff and quite difficult to eradicate. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/waterandland/lakes/plants/weed-identification/reed-canary-grass.aspx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here