Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_in_sd_z4

Farmer's Market in Kitsap

eric_in_sd_z4
15 years ago

Being that I won't be moving to WA until June, most likely I won't be able to have much of a garden this year. How are the Farmer's Markets around Poulsbo? Are they decent enough that you could buy heirloom tomatoes? Where are the best markets located at? Is Pike's Market in Seattle worth the drive or is it over-commercialized?

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

There is a farmer's market on Bainbridge Island and one in Kingston......both are close enough to Poulsbo to be a convenient drive. Since this will be my first season frequenting both as well, I'm not sure what exactly will be on offer but my former local farmer's market (Lake City) had a wide range of produce available in season, including all manner of tomatoes, including many heirloom varieties. A number of smaller organic farms from eastern WA are regular vendors at these markets, so we get to reap the benefits of the wider range of produce they grow, as well as the contributions from more local growers.

The Pike Place market (not Pike's market - that's a sure giveaway you are not local :-)) also has a number of local vendors, primarily Asian farmers from the Kent valley area who offer a very interesting assortment of produce in season. It IS a much more commercialized, touristy type of environment but still worth visiting anyway.

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

There's also a Saturday farmers market in Poulsbo but it's very small.... small enough that I never frequented it enough to keep track of what's available there. And the Hansville one I think will meet once again at Dragonfly Nursery.

• markey
    14 years ago

Port Orchard (every Saturday now) is one of the biggest and sells lots of tomatoes but I don't know if any are considered "heirloom." Gig Harbor also has a large Farmer's Market. Other smaller ones are in Silverdale (Tuesday 11-4), Port Gamble (Sunday 11-4), Bremerton (Thursday 4-7:30), Suqamish (Wednesday 3-7) and Keyport (Friday-midday I think). Hainsville's market goes until October (Sundays 12-4).

• jennie
    14 years ago

There's also a local CSA if you'd be interested in that? They show up at the farmer's markets too, look for Tara or Marty. Nice people.

• cedar_wa
    14 years ago

When the Hood Canal Bridge reopens in June, the Port Ludlow farmers market is on Friday starting at 9am. The Saturday market in up-town Port Townsend is a large, buzy one. The Chimacum market at the Grange Hall is on Sundays from 11 until 3 and has only farmer produced items (lots of starts at this time of the year). There are many food vendors at Port Townsend and a few at the Chimacum market.
    There are a lot of small farmers in this area trying to make a living by growing some amazing crops, producing meat and cheeses.