Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skimmia - Sick and dying

Posted by romanticdreamer z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 20:25

Help - I planted fourFemale Dwarf Skimmia a couple of years ago in a shady garden beneath evergreens. One already died and a second one is really sick. What goes???
No notching, so don't think it's Root Weevils. No webbing, so don't think it's Spider Mites. Any ideas??

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skimmia - Sick and dying

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 20:46

The stunting, drooping and dropping imply a water mold problem or other issue with the roots. While very shade tolerant, often able to be grown in some pretty rooty and dry places skimmia actually likes fairly good living with decent soil, some moisture and good drainage.

After you pop it out you might want to remove and replace the soil around the hole. Shaking the dirt off of the carcass onto ground you want to use for growing other plants should probably be avoided.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here