Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeka0801

what usda zone are we in Bellevue,WA?

teeka0801(7aNoVa)
14 years ago

I have just recently moved here from zone 9b/10a and am looking for lots of container ideas(large planters,trees,foliage...I might even try bonsai).

Also, what hostas do well here and are they a concern where you have bunny rabbits( I seem them everywhere here)?

I just saw a new nursery go up on Coal Creek Parkway??!! I'm itching to go over there,but where should I compare prices to?

Thanks! I hope to post alot more coming up soon!

teeka

Comments (10)

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

Slugs are annoyingly generic. Post a lot more soon. Your itchy rotten crotch desires low priced bunnies.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Same as mine (see after my screen name).

Do you shop CostCo? Pick up a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book.

If you have one already, it covers our area as well as California.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

For container inspiration, visit Wells Medina in Bellevue. And Swanson's in Crown Hill always has exceptional display containers.

And all hostas do well here but are also foraged eagerly by slugs, bunnies and deer. You will need to bait for slugs and arrange some sort of protection against the larger critters.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Ducks like them also. I've seen them spoiled by ducks that were supposed to be eating slugs and thereby helping protect them.

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll definitely put the hostas in containers, it just might help with the slugs and the rabbits.

I don't shop at Costco, but is there any local subscription to magazine/newsletter for gardening in this area?
    I'll plan to make a drive to Wells Medina..checked their website and it is worthwhile!

Thanks again!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Most retail nurseries will offer complimentary copies of Northwest Garden News, a small, monthly gardening newsletter. Lots of ads but some good articles now and then. And many local nurseries send out eletters or bulletins that feature upcoming events and classes, sales or specials or "what's new" and sometimes short info pieces. Just sign up for your favs!

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Welcome to the neighborhood, Teeka!

You have received responses from two of the most knowledgeable members of this forum, who are equally generous with their knowledge. Heed them well and take Muddydogs' words with a grain (or shaker full?) of salt. Sounds like that response was the equivalent of drunk dialing.

Rain

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

CostCo just has the book a little cheaper (in the spring, when they stock it). You can get it at numerous other stores, including garden centers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate Zones - Garden - Sunset.com

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was very helpful.

I went today to the Arboretum just south of Uof Washington and saw some gorgeous booming trees.

I also went to a few nurseries and getting some good ideas.

There were some Master Gardeners at the arboretum, and they gave me a bunch of info and resources so I have some homework to do! Besides, this sunny weekend has sure helped !!

teeka

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The Seattle arboretum is a world class facility, with extensive collections featuring better than usual labeling of specimens. Many hours can be spent exploring it.

Currently they are re-doing the rock garden at the south end.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting