Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron ID - - pics

Posted by kimichangirl 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 20:48

I am fairly new to gardening and have been trying to id this rhododendron in our yard ... I think it must be a popular hybrid because I see it all over the place but I haven't had much luck figuring out its name!

The flower buds are a beautiful pink and then open to a light peach blush color fading to white as the season progresses. Pictures below and thanks in advance for any information you can give! :)

Rhodie -- close up of flower

Rhodie -- flower buds and leaves

Sorry this one is a little blurry:

Rhodie -- full

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron ID - - pics

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 0:14

The common one of this ilk is 'Unique'.

o

Yes, 'Unique' isn't very unique it is so popular but it is a nice Rhodie.

o

Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 12:15

We and our neighbors lost 40+ year old specimens to mildew after it became prevalent (starting in the 90s). In my area you now have to choose rhododendrons for fungus resistance if you don't want to be spraying fungicides in order to keep leaves on them.

Same as with roses.

Only unlike with roses, most susceptible varieties die if not protected (from repeated, progressing premature leaf loss).

o

That's it -- thanks! I do love it, even though it is a common Rhodie.

Haven't had any problems with fungus, but we did have a really bad infestation of lacebugs for a few years in a row that made it look awful.

o

Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 16:30

Apparently many thought the gauntness of their rhododendrons for some years after the 1990 winter was due to cold damage, when it was actually due to the local dispersal and onset of mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here