Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helebores

Posted by salmonlady4 8 SEA (Redmond) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 21:10

Good evening.....

My helebores are stunning this year...Why? I have no idea but the mass of blooms are over 2 feet wide for each plant.

BUT.............the exterior circle of stems and leaves are lying on the ground while the blooms are centered and fill up a large place in the center of the original stems and leaves that are now laying on the ground.

WHAT TO DO?.... Once the flowers die back do I cut this mass of flowers back to the ground and hope that the outside circle of stems return to their normal state of straight up and surrounding the depleted bloom circle?

Is there someone out there who can tell me what to do? My plants are still in bloom (even after all this snow and freeze) but like last year I expect them to die back soon. They have been in bloom for over two months now. (Are they petrified?) ...

I remember last year the stems and leave returned to their upright position but I am too old to remember what happens next.......

Somebody???????

THank you so very much.................blessings.....salmonlady4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helebores

While most hellebores will retain their foliage through winter, those that produce flowers on separate stems (the term is 'acaulescent') typically have last season's foliage removed at this time, often earlier. There's a number of good reasons for this: the foliage usually looks pretty tattered and ratty by this time, it often will overwinter disease issues and as you have experienced, it is usually flattened by rains, snow or other weather. It seldom will return to an erect position - what you remember is probably the new growth that replaced it. And the flowers show off better if the old foliage is removed :-) Cut 'em off - this season's fresh new foliage should be emerging and will rapidly take old stuff's place.

btw, most hellebore growers remove this old foliage in late winter just as the flower buds are emerging from the soil. This offers the best disease prevention.

o
RE: Hellebores

Are you referring to Lenten Rose/Hybrid/orientalis Hellebores and not the Corsican or other species of Hellebores that bloom on stems with the leaves?

If so, get in there now while you can and cut off all of last years leaves.
This will help get rid of possibly diseased leaves and it will make the blossoms show up nicely.
There will be new leaves coming up soon if not already.

By cutting back now,( or even sooner) you avoid damaging the new emerging leaves.

You can also cut back the flowering stems later after all the color is gone and help rid lots of seed falling and sprouting within the original plant if you don't want seedlings.

o
RE: Helebores

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 22:10

You might also want to look inside some of the flowers for slug damage - they get up inside them and eat the anthers out - and take corrective measures.

If you control slugs you may also get numbers of your own seedlings living on to produce some interesting additional shades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here