Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserobin_gw

Tasmanian tree fern

roserobin_gw
13 years ago

I got one at the local grocery store! wondering where to place it. How quickly should I expect it to grow here? (it is quite small now, 2 gallon pot, maybe 1' tall, 18" wide) Will it need protection in Victoria BC in a fairly sheltered spot, (zone 8). Thanks.

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Yes, you have to shelter these each winter most locations this far north.

• novita
    13 years ago

There were some fairly big tree ferns at Hatley Park Gardens near Victoria. At least they were there a few years ago. If you live near the water, you might get away with it.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I've seen those. Right back from the water, along a quiet inlet. Perhaps covered during the winter.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

There is an entire allee of them (6+ footers) planted along a very long driveway at a local computer software mogul's estate. But the driveway is heated in winter and the tops are wrapped. Helps if you can afford the expense of the TLC necessary to keep them happy :-)

• botann
    13 years ago

I missed the tree ferns when I was at Hatley Park gardens. It was in January last year so that explains it. Beautiful gardens though. I liked the Japanese Garden the best.

I keep my tree fern in the sunroom for the winter and it's barely alive after five years. I can't imagine leaving it out all winter. Heck, my mulched Gunnera barely made it through the cold spell in Dec.

• roserobin_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I have seen the tree fern at Hatley park (Royal Roads) and it is closer to the water than I am. Will it grow okay in a large pot if I have to keep it sheltered/protected in winter? Or can I just pile leaves over the base in the fall?

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Any closer to the water and it would be in it.

Hardiest of tree ferns; well-established plants tolerate 20F/-7C

--Sunset Western Garden Book (2007, Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park)

• ian_wa
    13 years ago

A guy in Olympia bought a massive one last summer and planted it right in the ground. For winter protection he stuffed some leaves into the crown. It's now pushing new growth from the center of the crown, though of course all the fronds were lost. I'm impressed - I didn't think it would survive 12 degrees. Generally I think Sunset's 20F rating is pretty accurate for this plant.

• tallclover
    13 years ago

I live on Vashon Island in Puget Sound and every year I plant a Tasmanian Tree fern and every year it gets zapped by a brief cold spell.

I have now sought professional help for my zonal denial and will not make the same mistake this year after ten years of trying. Instead I'm opting to find the big ferns that thrive in my climate.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Look for giant chain fern.

• sam_wa
    13 years ago

There are a few fairly large ones planted in downtown Seattle that I know have been in for at least 5+ years. I believe the trunks just get wrapped with burlap every winter. The old fronds die back, but they push out a ton of new ones every spring.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The couple I have seen there were under massive building overhangs, so in addition to the urban smog dome having some effect on temperature plunges (and the proximity to salt water tempering conditions) you have architecture forming a barrier to frost.

And they are apparently being wrapped as well.

You can also do a lot for tender plants by building a heated greenhouse over them.

• grrrnthumb
    13 years ago

Once you give up trying to grow them outside around here, try overwintering them from Nov. 1 to April 1 in your garage, with a little light, like you would a fuchsia. Then you also don't have to go with the very cold-hardiest, which is not as attractive and not nearly as fast-growing as Cyathea australis, the Australian tree fern. Just remember they like their fronds watered occasionally also, to avoid bugs.