Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvercreek_gw

Mahonia 'Charity'

silvercreek
14 years ago

I just bought a Mahonia 'Charity'and I was noticing a large discrepancy in the heighth and width, i've seen anywhere from 6'h x 3'w to 15'h x 10'w. Does anyone have any experience with this variety? How big it gets and what kind of sun it prefers. Thanks, Doug.

Comments (16)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Many local Mahonia x media were burnt a bit even by this last merely somewhat cold winter so I would choose a warm, sheltered nook for this cool season bloomer. You would also get more out of the low potency floral fragrance and potential hummingbird viewing if the shrub were located in a quiet area near a window, where winds do not get at it all the time.

6' is too short, this one grows about as big, open and tufted (palm-like) in time as a fatsia. Gaunt stems can be cut low to start over from near the ground.

'Winter Sun' has also been sold here and has displayed better branching. Two different properites I have been to had this one right against unshaded hot south walls - it looked very happy and natural so situated. However, you already have the flagship variety. And I'm not sure local suppliers haven't gotten these two all mixed together at this point.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

They aren't fast growers- some "eventual height" guides look out only a few years. 10 years or more without any pruning and they will probably be much closer to that 15 foot mark.

mine took to this winter without any problems sitting on a north side of a fence. sheltered from winds but not from cold.

another nod for hummingbird viewing placement. all this winter, like clockwork i had a 9am guest. the hummingbirds tend to knock off the flowers a little prematurely, but you cant get mad at a hummingbird!

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

While we're on this subject. I got mine 2.5 years ago (fall '06) at Gossler's and it was in bloom. No bloom last year or this year although plant is healthy and growing. How much sun is needed? jwww

• homernoy
    14 years ago

I have mine in part shade and they have bloomed every year since I planted them. I have 'winter sun' and 'Arthur Menzies', and the former I have seen in pretty heavy shade in the trees at the UW Arboretum and those blooms every year. I don't have 'charity', but I can't imagine it being much different.

Ron, where did you see burned X media Mahonia's? Both of mine bloomed the entire time during the cold, and kept blooming after. The cold did not effect the fruit production either (lot's of hummers), I have a full crop.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Here and there. Not burned up, just some singing/discoloration. Now in 1990, on the other hand...

Remember this cross is half M. lomariifolia. Not the same level of hardiness as M. bealei and M. japonica at all.

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

My Charity is under a large Doug fir which has been limbed up so that there is sun on the area from early afternoon to sunset. Any other ideas why it may not be blooming for me? jwww

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

Maybe you're being too nice to it. Why should it bloom, if it's so happy? Try holding back on water. Try yelling at it or calling it nasty names... like 'Photinia'

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I have one overhung by a fir also. Definitely objects if summer watering is not kept up - not a surprise considering wild origins of parent species.

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

I'm definitely not babying it. Will "add water" from now through fall and see what happens.......jwww

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

I have Mahonia Arthur Menzies. It's spikey shaft of buds shriveled in the cold. Plant looks good now. What's the difference between this and Charity?

• silvercreek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions,Bboy by palm like do you mean tall and skinny.I thinking about getting winter sun and arthur menzies,but if they get 10' wide,I better just stick to this one.

• homernoy
    14 years ago

There is really no need to worry about the ultimate height these plants might attain. If you aren't too worried about pruning it now and again, this is not the type of plant to grow large and out of your controle anytime soon. Still, bboy has a point about 'winter sun', that it seems to branch more and has a tighter growth habit than 'Arthur Menzies'. I can tell you this first hand, I have both. Good luck in choosing one, they are certainly wonderful plants.

• silvercreek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm alright with the height,i'm more concerned about the width,if they have a 10' spread then i'll have to rethink where i'm gonna put it,if it is more narrow it would fit my plans better.Sounds like winter sun is one I should acquire if it dose'nt take up massive amounts of real estate.When I bought this,I thought it was more of a tall narrow plant,but got to looking online and found several different dimension.

• homernoy
    14 years ago

You can easily keep it as thin as you like. If you take a close look, there are vertical branches similar to Nandina (both Berberidaceae). Every once in awhile, take a peek at the base, and cut any growth that looks like it might get in your way. They can be pruned with small hand sheers, as long as you don't wait years to prune.

• silvercreek
    Original Author
    14 years ago

homernoy cool thanks for the info doug

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Arthur Menzies' is more coarse than others seen here. I don't like it.

During 1990 the 'Arthur Menzies' in the Seattle arboretum were spoiled by the cold, looking afterward almost as though set on fire. They were able to grow back from lower down.