Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddydogs

Natives

muddydogs
14 years ago

What's so wrong about being zone 6?

Awesome natives don't die. It's plants out of the zone that die.

Comments (9)

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I'm trying to grow some natives this year. Some of them are really challenging from seed. What are your favorites?

• clc70
    14 years ago

I love my little yellow stream violets, my fox glove and of course native ferns.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

My DH reroofed our pump house last year, and had shingles, etc piled up on the ground around it for a while. There is a Trillium there and to our surprise many little Trilliums came up this spring and some are even blooming, but we've never seen any seeding around before. Any guesses at what happened? Perhaps the piles keep the ground moister? I would like to duplicate this and get more to come up.

We have a few of the little yellow violets too, and flowering currants in bloom now, Oregon Holly Berry, Salal, False Solomon's Seal, Ocean Spray- Holodiscus, etc. I also got some natives last year from a natives only nursery- Spiraea douglasii, Twinberry- Lonicera involucrata, and Philadelphus lewisii- mock orange, they are all leafing out.

Some I'm trying to start that are proving very difficult, not necessarily native here- Balsamorrhiza, Aralia nudicaulis, and Ceanothus americanus.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Fox glove (as in Digitalis purpurea) is not native. Recent clear cuts in the western Washington Cascade foothills have millions of it. Wonder how this affects the native vegetation.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have sword ferns and bleeding hearts both from the woods and hybridized from ours ('Luxuriant', 'Bacchanal'). Western maidenhair fern and our native deciduous azalea.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

I was using the USDA site for identifying native plants but they don't have many good photos, so I found another site that lets you search by family, genus, etc. and has a location map for WA and extensive photos. I've been identifying some of the tiny weeds in my yard with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myosotis laxa

• reg_pnw7
    13 years ago

Here is a good source of information on native plants of Washington. USDA is much better at eastern US stuff, not so good at western US stuff. And kinda vague when it comes to where something's native to or where certain invasives are found. they tend to go by state, where the UW site goes by county.

Wildflowers can be very challenging from seed. Garden plants have been hybridized for easy seed germination, but wildflowers are programmed to wait for just the right conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burke Museum of Natural History at UW

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Artificial selection vs. natural selection.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

reg- I guess you didn't look at my link, also to the Burke Museum.:-) But a specific plant, a cute little native wildflower in my yard.