Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Best strategy to control Shotweed (Cardamine hirsuta)?

Wayne Reibold
11 years ago

So Shotweed is my #1 nuisance weed I'm trying to control/eradicate. For those of who are winning the battle with it can you recommend what you found to be the best strategy?

What I'm currently doing is putting a thick layer of Cedar Grove Compost in the planters that are prone to have it hoping I smother out seeds never to see them again (will this work?). I obviously try to pull and dispose of plants I see before they get to flower/seed.

I'm also curious what anyone knows about how long the seeds are viable, if given water do they all leaf out at once? or only some at a time and others leaf out later?

Ref: https://www.google.com/search?q=shotweed&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xstoUfyfL4GsiAKEioDgBQ&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1904&bih=844#imgrc=2QD7mQQnXXx6wM%3A%3Bx-vGoLiVHD6k4M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fd%252Fda%252FKleine_veldkers_Cardamine_hirsuta_plant.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fprism.xomba.com%252Fedible_weeds_garden_kitchen%3B1278%3B1704

I've fought a battle with Herb Robert for many years and rarely see them anymore, am hoping I can do the same with Shotweed. I'm also starting a battle with Creeping Jenny in the lawn in about 6 small patches, trying to eradicate it before it spreads.

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Remove before they set seed. Then continue to patrol the area for "leftovers" or later sprouter-bloomers.

I doubt any weed sprouts all its seeds at once." That's a very poor strategy when you intend to conquer" an area.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Use a coarser mulch and keep it topped off.

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A coarser mulch such as what? I've been putting the Cedar Grove Compost about 3" thick on the planters figuring it would smother the seeds (can't imagine they'd germinate if they're buried that deep but perhaps they still do??) and also improve the soil in the planters.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Bark, wood chips etc. Fine composty surfaces excellent for germination of shotweed and others. Also less effective at moisture retention, you want a markedly different texture from the soil beneath in order to keep moisture in.

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't bark and wood chips rob the soil of nitrogen as the bark/chips decompose?

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Not if they remain on the soil surface.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Anytime you pierce through that mulch layer & bring up soil from below the weed seeds will resurface & sprout.

Containers are different than in ground gardens, so I've not tried a wood chip mulch in them.

You might try removing the top few inches before you add transplants then fill your containers to within 1 inch with new potting mix. If planting seeds in containers you definitely want new potting soil mix.

Control weeds in the ground around the pots. If containers are planted densely & mulched with a thin layer of dried grass clippings to cover the soil surface you may have a weed free container quickly.

Like other posters have said do patrols & remove the sprouts. It regenerates from pieces, so definitely don't use a tool to chop it up.

Corrine

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Re: nitrogen and bark doesn't the soil start to decompose the bark as soon as you put it down? I don't understand how it's possible to "keep it on the surface".

• jean001a
    11 years ago

It will remain on the surface as long as you don't dig it into the soil.

If you plant something new after the area is mulched, you need to pull back the mulch, plant, then replace the mulch on the soil surface.