Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarleta_gw

How to grow dill with no problems

scarleta
15 years ago

So I need help. Every year I grow dil and it looks great until it gets big and is just about to flower.It always get slimy , sticky whitish stuff all over the crowns.It does not kill it , but I have no clue what it is and what to do about it.

I just put some seeds so if someone can please let me know how to avoid this problem please post.I thank you.

Comments (9)

• plantknitter
    15 years ago

Could this be spittle bugs?

I know I get aphids on my dill, fennel, parsley seed heads and I think spittle bugs are attracted to the same plants.
    Can you just try to just wash the stuff away?

• thesecretofjoy
    15 years ago

I did a bit of research and it would seem that dill is the preferred location for black swallowtail butterflies to lay their eggs.

http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/herb/annual/1235

I found this photo of the eggs on some dill. Does your look like this?

http://www.windsofkansas.com/BlackSwallowailEggsz.jpg

• scarleta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thesecretofjoy: thanks for your work to try and help me out.Unfortunately I can not open any of your recommended sites to see a pic.
    It looks like a " spit" foamy stuff that sits on top of dill just before it flowers.Sorry thats the best description of it.

• scarleta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did independent search for Black swallowtail butterflies and yes I have seen them in my garden, but never seen them on my dill only the slimy stuff with no enemies seen? Thanks again

• pepperdude
    15 years ago

Well if it looks like a wad of spit that's an easy diagnosis. That's a spitbug. The slimy mass of froth protects the young insect. They grow up to be leafhoppers. They're not a big problem although as sucking insects they may pass viruses to your plants. Easy to squash the little bug in the spit if you're heartless like I am or you can just ignore them and they will go away when they mature.

• scarleta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pepperdude:yes I think you got it.It is a spitbug and yes I ignore them, but I loose all dill.Not really loose it, but its discusting so I don't want to eat it.
    Well at least I know what I am dealing with now.Thanks again.

• pepperdude
    15 years ago

Hi Scarleta - Maybe you could watch this year and see what time of year the spitbugs are "out". My memory tells me that its a pretty short time of year so maybe in the future you could plant out a little later and escape their spitty nastiness.

I assume you are growing for the dill leaf?? I can't imagine spitbugs get up in the flower clusters much. Actually, our dill was ruined for pickling by aphids last year. We left the aphids for the ladybugs to deal with but the ladybugs don't get them all and the dead aphid bodies and other muck made the seed heads pretty unappetizing.

• scarleta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again: Yes its unappetizing I agree.I grow dill for both leaves and branches too as I pickle cucumbers.ONCE they get on the leaves they go to some flowers too so I cut them off and wait for better leaves .YOU are right I should grow it every month then I would have enough.I will try it this time.Thanks for your tip.

• Karchita
    15 years ago

I've had some success with simply rinsing away the spittle and the bug with a jet of water, but you have to keep after them.