Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harborrose_pnw

Helpful Plant Book for PNW

harborrose_pnw
13 years ago

I recently moved here from the southeastern US. While there, I relied for general plant information and listings on the Southern Living plant book, which listed just about every tree, shrub, perennial and annual that is grown in that region.

Is there something comparable for the PNW? I find so many plants that I do not know here and would like a plant reference book. What I do now is carry leaves around with me and look for the plants in a nursery. There has to be a better way.

I've bought a couple of books but haven't yet found what I'm looking for - any suggestions?

Thank you for any help

Comments (22)

• muddydogs
    13 years ago

Sunset Western Garden book post 2000 is mostly accurate. Maybe 2 bucks on www.amazon.com for a used one. Knowing plants takes years of study.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with the years of study part. Books just help give a head start. Thanks.

• mariev_seattle
    13 years ago

I moved to Seattle almost three years ago after living in the Southwest for 13 years. Because many of the trees and shrubs here were unfamiliar to me, I bought a dozen books for NW gardening. Two that I refer to the most are Tree & Shrub Gardening for Washington and Oregon by Alison Beck and Marianne Binetti and Trees of Seattle by Arthur Lee Jacobson. For general gardening info and tips, I also like Marianne Binetti's Easy Answers for Great Gardens.

In general I've learned that it really just takes time to become familiar with the different varieties here. I'm just now able to recognize most of the different trees because I've been researching trees for our parking strips.

In addition to this forum, I also use the following Websites: Great Plant Picks, WSU's Hardy Plants for Waterwise Landscapes, and OSU's Landscape Plants.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been here just a couple of months and although I've been gardening for a number of years, I know I'm starting over again learning plants.

I ordered the Sunset book and will check into the others you mentioned, mariev. Thanks for your response.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

You can get the Sunset book at a discount at CostCo, when they stock it during spring (last time I was at a CostCo they still had some).

You can buy Jacobson's book from him directly, see his web site. Currently it is in its second (2006) edition. He added a comprehensive treatment of local flowering crab apples the second time around, this is a very important group for gardeners.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bboy, thanks for the heads up on Jacobsen and Costco- I opted for a hardback copy of the 2001 as it had good reviews on Amazon. Hadn't thought to check Costco.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Each edition is different, you should get the most recent (2007) one.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why is the 2007 edition better?

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

From the cover:

2,000 New Plant Entries * More Than 1,300 Photos * Full-color Plant Illustrations * Completely Revised and Updated

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay. Newer isn't always better, but I'll take your word for it. I'll probably wear this one out in a year so will buy the new edition next time. Thanks for responding.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

In the case of the Sunset Western Garden Book, newer is better because new plants are being introduced all the time and older plants fall out of favor. You might fall in love with a plant no longer commercially available. Not that all new plants are always better than older ones but new plants isn't the only reason for the new editions they publish. There is new information from university testing and various trials too.

In addition to the Sunset book, I love Ann Lovejoy's collections of garden essays and the English gardening book A Garden For All Seasons from Reader's Digest.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

With a book "new" means new to the book, unless otherwise. This is also often the case with nursery listings, a given item may be new to their catalog rather than new to the market.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have one of Ann Lovelace's books but didn't know she wrote essays. I'll check the library. Thank you for the info.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann Lovejoy, apologies.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I she starts championing Queen Anne's Lace then we can start calling her Ann Lovelace.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahh. I'll forget me not her name again.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

No biggie, he is teasing you. At least you didn't call her Linda Lovelace. ;)

The books that I so enjoy are Year In Bloom, The Border In Bloom, Garden In Bloom

They aren't new but I read them over and over. I find her writing very enjoyable. She has written many others on Northwest Gardening too.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

In a story I read about her being discovered, so to speak, I believe it said she had crafted her writing after that of Reginald Farrer. So, you might enjoy some of his books as well.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, that was a flower joke - I was teasing too...

Queen Anne's Lace,
    forget me not.

I enjoy garden essays but have mostly read those from Henry Mitchell, Elizabeth Lawrence and Katherine White. I'll look forward to some new authors. Thank you.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Now I see "forget me not".

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rue my bad joke.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

And so the pun continues.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.