Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me pick a companion plant

Posted by drcindy z8 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 23:45

I need some help in choosing a companion plant for a small raised garden bed. It's south facing but under an eave, so it only receives morning sun and tends to get rather dry since the rains don't reach it and I'm a bit neglectful in the summer with watering. I've just planted a Hebe "Great Orne" in the center (it's just a small 2-gallon size now but I know it will get much larger) and there is a small butterfly bush to one side. I need to find something to place on the other side of the hebe that will like the water and light conditions and won't get too large, i.e. 3' or so. Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me pick a companion plant

My favorite plants for dry shade are Sarcoccoccas. They're evergreen, bloom in February (the flowers are insignificant but very fragrant). You could underplant with hardy Cyclamen (a combination of C. hederifolium, C. cilicium, and C. coum would give you flowers all winter)and the native Sedum spathifolium.

o
RE: help me pick a companion plant

Osmanthus delavayi is blooming now, smells good, and has nice foliage, though a little open.

My Daphne tangutica is blooming great this year, surpassing my D. odora variegata. Daphne xtransylvanica= Caucasia Summer Ice is a lovely mounding shrub that blooms all summer unlike the spring-blooming ones.

I also like a couple of Hypericums I bought 3 years ago- H. frondosum and kalmianum- greyish foliage and yellow pincushion flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne tangutica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here