Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thesecretofjoy

I planted snap peas today. Have I done it too late? + a pic

thesecretofjoy
13 years ago

I just finished getting my new kitchen garden ready and planted my snap peas today. Did I wait too long? I know I can do another sowing of them for a fall crop but I'm not sure about this one.

Also, here is a picture of my kitchen garden, which really is just outside the kitchen door! Yay! The bed on the far right is all in herbs and some garlic.

Comments (5)

• rainypnw
    13 years ago

That's a nice little garden space! I like it :)

You'll probably be fine with the peas - I've planted them this late before and still got peas. But if you just put the garlic in, you may not have enough time for them to bulb out. Normally garlic is a fall bulb planting. But they might be ok if we have a longer summer. In your picture I can't see the garlic - it should be pretty tall by now...

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2010 Garden Blog - please check it out!

• thesecretofjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you rainy. I'm planning on a summer sowing of peas to harvest in fall as well, so hopefully I'll get peas sooner or later.

the garlic hasn't sprouted as yet, so if it's really too late maybe I'll just sow something else over it and put in more garlic in the fall. are you supposed to overwinter it and harvest it in the springtime?

• gardinator
    13 years ago

I planted them all spring and summer last year with great results in pots. They grew vigorously then petered out so you want to stagger the planting to get continuous harvest. They grew to be over 5 ft tall above the pot, and planting quite a few in a 2 1/2 ft tall by 1 1/2 ft wide pot didn't seem to bother them. Planted them in a circle around the outside of the pot about 5 inches apart and then in the middle with the same 5 inch distance from all the others. I had to duct tape 5 ft tomato stakes together to make them long enough to support the tall growth of the plants. I used velcro tape (greatest invention in gardening history imo) to support them. I planted into late summer and harvested into November. I didn't notice that they cared when they were planted in terms of heat and didn't care about the cold until it was really cold.

Good luck!

• lilydude
    13 years ago

I planted some on July 6 last year, and harvested peas into November.

I predict that the tree just behind the fence is going to fill your garden with roots within one growing season. I always try to place garden areas well outside the drip line of a large tree.

• thesecretofjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardinator, great to know! I love peas so I'll keep making sowings!

lilydude, the tree isn't mine so nothing to do about it, but the garden bed has been there for years. A former roommate dug it and gardened there for several years. The tree hasn't posed a problem, but the bindweed coming in under the fence is another matter. grr.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath