Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_palmer4077

I just have to share!

Mary Palmer
16 years ago

Normally I am not a Rhodie fan for just the flower but this color is over the top IMHO! Alas, I have lost the tag and have forgotten the name but I look forward to the blossoms every year. Please excuse the weevil damage.... If anyone knows the name I would love to find out what it is. I purchaced it at Hammonds Rhodies in Arlington many years ago.

Comments (33)

• knotz
    16 years ago

Wow, that is pretty!!

• nairn
    16 years ago

Well, if you strip the bark off one part of a branch, put moist soil around that part and fix it there with plastic wrap or mesh of some sort, it should create roots where you put the soil, then you could cut that off and take it to the nursery to compare it without the flower wilting in the hot car.

First plant I ever grew from young was a Rhododendron.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Wow! that is one gorgeous Rhody, here's a link that might help you with identification. Check out the purples. If you find out the variety plesae let us know, it really is a beauty.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron identification

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Compare with 'Purple Splendour'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington USDA Zone Map

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

It looks like 'Purple Splendour.' Mine is just opening up. It is a gorgeous one!

• thane
    16 years ago

I have a rhododendron that I had identified as a Purple Splendour using the rhododendron.org site photos, and using the pictures on the oregonstate.edu landscaping pages. Mine is nowhere near as dark as the nearly-black photo posted by bamboomary, and the other purple splendour photos I've seen are lighter too. Here's a picture of mine where you can see some buds starting to open:

Can there be that much variance between different specimens of a cultivar? I'm keenly interested to know, because I really want a rhodie like bamboomary's. Gorgeous!

16 years ago

Does anyone think it looks like Johnathan Shaw ?

A......

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I don't think it's 'Purple Splendour.' The edging is a lot darker, and the color is actually too. Mine is just starting to open up. Here's a picture of my 'Lee's Dark Purple'. It's actually darker than the picture. I like it a lot! Getting these distinct purple colors on camera is kinda tricky. One of the other posters has a 'Jonathon Shaw.' I think boxofrox. I'm getting one next weekend when I go down to Portland. Will make a full report....

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

It is stunning!

• boxofrox
    16 years ago

Jonathan Shaw is a truer dark purple with almost a velvet look, doesn't have the black or red tones that this one seems to have.

• Mary Palmer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I found a web site for Hammonds Rhododendron Acres and I emailed them the photo. I hope they still have it or can remember what it is. I checked out all of your suggestions and nothing seems right. The colors in my photos are true to the actual color of the blossom. It is always interesting to see what the blossoms really look like compared to the growers descriptions.... I will hopefully post answer soon!

• ian_wa
    16 years ago

I agree, too dark for purple splendor. I was going to suggest 'Lee's Dark Purple' but the spotting on the flowers looks different. Maybe someone else can look into that one!

16 years ago

Well, I hope somebody can identify it, what a beauty, in fact I think it's about the loveliest Rhodo I've ever seen. When I looked at the above site I mentioned, the picture of Jonathan Shaw, spelled it right this time, seemed to have the same shading, only a little lighter in color. Maybe it's a close relative? I think there's a few of us that would love to have Mary's beauty in our gardens.

A......

• Diane_Kirkland
    16 years ago

Mary, try emailing the picture to Richie Steffen at the Miller Garden (richies@millergarden.org) (he had years at the Rhod. Species Foundation) and Dick Brown at Bloedel (rbrown@bloedelreserve.org). Maybe one of them can help you. You can tell them I suggested you contact them. That purple color is beautiful! Diane

• botann
    16 years ago

I think Mary's Rhododendron looks better than Purple Splendor. Here's mine. Click to enlarge.
    {{gwi:1076585}}

• SusanC
    16 years ago

Maybe 'Polarnacht'.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I saw a similar one bordering the display garden at Schreiner's Iris on Monday. Wasn't labeled. :( It was huge and looked like it had been there for years.

• Mary Palmer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Diane! good idea, I know Richie and just emailed him the photo. We will see if I have better luck with him as I have gotten no response from the Hammonds Acres people!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

There's also this one. Truss construction looks like yours. 'Mars' X 'Purple Splendour'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google olin o dobbs

• Mary Palmer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally got an answer from Hammond's Rhodies! The name (Warlock)really sounds familiar as I was originally intrigued by it (probably not a good reason to buy a plant) but I lucked out. It sounds like they still sell this plant for those who want one. For those down in Oregon I believe Greer also has it! Thanks for all of your guesses!

Hello Mary
    what a beautiful picture. Dave and I looked through the yard and sale area and came up with Midnight - but I haven't had any sizable plants I could sell of that one so unless you got a gallon can size it's not that. But that's in the lineage of Warlock and we've been selling that one in larger sizes for years. Does the new growth have a maroon purplish tone to its color. ????
    Joan Hammond

WARLOCK (syn. MIDNIGHT #2) (Romany Chal x Purple Splendour) *
    0°F 6' Early May. Very deep purple flowers with a black blotch. Nice glossy-green foliage and red stems. Upright, open grower.

• thane
    16 years ago

Huzzah! Thanks for the info. I must have one!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Harold Greer's Guide to Available Rhododendrons only partly duplicative entry reads

"('Romany Chal' X 'Purple Splendour'). 6', 0F, L, 4/2-3/3-4. Leaves are large. 3 3/4" flowers are dark reddish purple color, with deeply embossed black dorsal blotch and spotting, held in a flattish truss of up to 14. (Bledsoe 1976)."

I took Dave Bledsoe's rhododendron class at Edmonds Community College, probably not too long after the date (1976) given above by Greer. I remember him mentioning 'Warlock'. (After he died I taught the class once, over the years since then it seems they may have had a sequence of different people do it).

• thane
    15 years ago

Update! I went out and bought two 'Warlocks' based on this thread. (From Wells Medina Nursery, fyi.) I was thrilled when the flowers first opened up and it was just as I was expecting. The below photo is blurry, but it's the best one that shows the color as the flowers open.

As the flowers opened fully, I was a little disappointed to realize that they're more of a very deep blood red with black edges. As noted earlier in this thread, it's tricky to capture purples on camera, but here's another photo as the flowers lighten:

And here's a photo taken this morning with a side-by-side comparison of 'Warlock' and 'Purple Splendor'.

I think 'Warlock' is a truly lovely plant. I especially like the dark red stems and the glossy, very dark green foliage.

However, it doesn't quite work where I have it. It's far enough from the path that it almost entirely blends into the background. I'm afraid I don't have a better place to put it, either. It would quickly grow too large for any of the spots by my path. So I'll be arranging for a new home for my two 'Warlocks'.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Beautiful, all of them! Pictures worth 1000s of words!

• thane
    15 years ago

Btw, in the last picture, Warlock is on the left, Purple Splendor is on the right. In the first two it looks far more purple, when in reality it's dark blood red, like in the last picture.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The second 'Warlock' looks like it's got mildew, so you may want to start a spray program for that. Look on the undersides of the leaves with the dark blotches to see if there are corresponding dusty or moldy looking areas.

• Mary Palmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all
    Interesting the color variations! The Warlock from Wells Mediana look more red from mine but is very nice. Red, purple and some blues can be difficult to photograph especially with a flash. The color of my Warlock photo is right on as compared to the actual plant flowers.

• thane
    15 years ago

Mary, I was wondering if yours might not be 'Warlock' after all. Does the new growth have dark red stems, almost purple? (As seen in my second photo) And is the foliage dark green and very glossy?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I'm drooling over them all. If I can find one and they'll tolerate shade, I've got just the spot for it. If not, I've STILL got just the spot for it. hehe. Me wants one...

The closest thing I've got to it is this...

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfoinian's garden adventure

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ok, my wife saw that and really wanted a blue rhodie. None of the blues on the rhodie site are actually blue, theyre purple. But when she googles them the pics are clearly blue. What gives? Is there a real true blue rhodie? If so we want one. Hehe, thanks,

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• thane
    15 years ago

Ok, of the two Warlocks I have, the second one actually does have colors more like the dark purple in the photos. The other one gets more sun, maybe it got more bleached out because of that.

• botann
    15 years ago

The best blue I've seen is a Rhody called 'Agustinii'. (Sp?)
    There are several forms. Buy when blooming to get what you want.

15 years ago

Ever since I saw Mary's picture of Warlock earlier this year I've been on the hunt for it, quite by accident I found it last week. Which of the ones shown here it will resemble we'll have to wait and see, both are beautiful. A