Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwen_s

Suggestions for Privacy

Gwen.S
9 years ago

We moved into our house in 2006. The previous owner planted a cedar hedge around the perimeter of the back yard. Last hear we lost more than half the shrubs. The neighbours have had the same problem. Not sure what happened but it seems to have occurred in our whole neighbourhood.

Now we need to decide what to replace them with. We have some extremely large pine trees in our yard and near us.

Cedars aren't my favourite anyway so I'm very open to change. But what?? Our lot isn't huge. My preference is something that gets tall and thick... But not wide/deep. Clumping bamboo? Lilacs (kept trimmed)?

What would grow well under the pine trees?

Comments (4)

• OregonGrape
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would stay away from bamboo. It grows like a weed and will quickly become a mess.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

>It grows like a weed and will quickly become a messAre you familiar with clumping bamboos, such as Fargesia? Some of those could be excellent, if the soil is moist enough.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Clumping bamboo is always a good choice. Also Japanese laurel, Aucuba japonica, is very shade tolerant and grows large enough to provide effective screening but may require more pruning to keep in your desired shape. Yews could work as well - shade tolerant, come in a pretty upright but dense form but rather slow growing.

• oliveoyl3
    9 years ago

We've been working on a new landscape in this past year, so I can suggest some ideas that have helped us in our landscape planning.

Before you select plants measure the height & width you have available as well as the soil & lighting conditions to help ensure success. Also check if you can dig a hole to plant between the remaining roots or if you have to excavate or build a raised bed prior to planting. Decide how much height & width you need for privacy from your side looking out or their side looking in since those are different measurements.

Then check what grows well in your local area within those limitations.

Depending on your your budget & patience either build a solid fence first or have more patience. We chose to have patience.

...Plant a mixed hedge of shrubs & trees with enough space between to allow for natural growth form. The combination of plants allows for replacements over time if something is damaged or dies. Identical replacements of mature forms are difficult as well as expensive and might not establish afterward.

...Plant a deep bed rather than a line up to provide more screening potential.

...Plant smaller plants (#1 gallon or #2 gallon sized pots) because ...
    -- require smaller holes with less summer watering to establish
    -- are readily available at less expense even if it takes a bit longer to be the size you need
    -- are vigorously growing as young plants rather than crowded roots in a nursery pot

...Start some shrubs from hardwood cuttings taken from your friends' successfully growing shrubs and insert directly where you want them to grow after you're prepared the soil for planting.

...Fill in with a few tall annuals such as sunflowers & morning glories for summer privacy when you're more likely outside anyway. Scarlet runner beans tolerate more shade plus attract hummingbirds and taste good.

Most trees keep on growing and shrubs widen with maturity, so you may lose some yard space in 10 or 20 years, start over, or attempt pruning to fit your space. Plant sizes are often listed at 10 year maturity, not the maximum and even the tall, narrow conifers don't ever stop growing.

If not enough space is allowed for mature growth you'll be burdened with a pruning schedule and once plants have grown beyond your ladder's reach you either must buy a taller one (more dangerous work at an advancing age in life), hire the job out, be stuck with the oversize plants, or if in deer territory left with irregularly nibbled shrubs.

Bamboo can be a tall, narrow screen if you are able to install a barrier & keep after it during shooting in spring. There are several methods to control it, but when homeowners don't problems occur.

Nothing is maintenance free except maybe a cement or brick wall, so choose what you like & enjoy yourself. I found a lot of inspiring options in Marty Wingate's book, Landscaping for Privacy: Innovative Ways to Turn Your Outdoor Space into a Peaceful Retreat.

Hope that helps,
    Corrine

Here is a link that might be useful: newspaper article on privacy screens