Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metta2006

What to plant now?

metta2006
14 years ago

Hi,

I'm a newbie so please help. What seeds can I plant now? carrots, raddishes, peas, broccoli..etc? Is there a planting schedule on the web? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Ask at a garden center.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Where in BC are you? I'm on Vancouver Island, all the seeds you mentioned can go in now where I am. Veggies like tomatoes Cucs and Squash I have just planted out but are protected by hot caps.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Not hot enough at night in this climate for tropicals like tomato plants. Stock displayed in open at local outlets shows signs of chilling.

Friend who grows vegetables using frames and raised beds north of Seattle is still using plastic over several of the beds, including the one with cucumbers. Is home during the day to roll the plastic back as needed. Otherwise, a frame with panes that were opened by automatic sensors could be tried.

Cooperative Extension has said in the past that tomato plants subjected to cold nights will be checked the rest of the season. Friend says tomato plants can come back OK from chilling, that the one that doesn't turn out if it is too cold at planting time is corn. He is currently warming the soil with plastic in an attempt to get the corn seeds to come on well.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

This has been such a cold spring so far, things that are usually planted in march are just going in now in my neck of the woods. I've got a few of the tender things planted but they're all under hot caps.
    Some around here don't plant anything until June 1st and have great results.

• madrone
    14 years ago

Its now warm enough to get good seed germination on most veggies. I'd hold off on planting out your tomatoes in the open garden unless they're in a pot against the house. For all the heat lovers (cukes, tomatoes, eggplant, etc) its best to wait until the nights stay above 10'C. (And we've still been dropping down to 9' lately) Otherwise they do get stunted and have a really hard time recovering. If you're growing beans, try putting some plastic sheet over the rows after planting until they germinate. But check often, otherwise the little seedlings fry. It helps to warm the soil and keeps the rain off. Good luck!

• plantslayer
    14 years ago

Well, here in Seattle people are planting out tomato transplants right now (over the weekend). I also recently started beans by planting them and covering the ground with clear plastic, and they all germinated. We just did the same thing with cucumbers, so hopefully they will be out in a week or so.

I've had tomatoes under a nice polytunnel/cloche thing since late April, and they had a somewhat rocky start for the first week or so, but they have growing fiercely now for several weeks.

If you are not much further north of Seattle, you might be able to put out tomatoes in some protection, maybe some clear plastic around a tomato cage, hot kaps, or whatever. You could probably plant beans under some plastic (which warms the ground up considerably).

If it's warmer than 50*F at night, I would say tomatoes should be fine even without much protection, and you could even consider trying some cucumbers or winter squash now (again, under plastic probably will help results). If they come up, they'll probably be fine unless there is a extended spate of unseasonably cool weather. If some don't come up, plant again next week, etc.

A lot of people are more conservative than I am about how late in the year they plant summer vegetables, OC, and your weather may be a bit colder than what we have here, so use your own judgment as well.

• scarleta
    14 years ago

It all depends on your zone.The best place to go is
    www.westcoastseeds.com
    they have a catalogue too ( its free) and gives you planting schedule for your area.
    Happy gardening to you.