Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwkrys_gw

Boomerang Lilac Here??

nwkrys
13 years ago

Having been raised in z3 where one of the few shrubs that blooms is a lilac, I miss the masses of lilacs blooming in everyone's yard in the spring. I do have a lilac in my garden here but since the valley lacks the truely cold winters that lilacs favor, I'm always disappointed in the quantity of the bloom. Now I hear about the reblooming Boomerang Lilac. Has anyone tried it in or near Portland to know if it justifies the price and space it will take? Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

That's 'Bloomerang' with an 'L', btw :-)

It is a dwarf lilac so never gets very large - 4-5' or so and as wide. And it is a hybrid and does not present the large, heavy clusters of flowers that a common or French lilac does. They are smaller, more delicate but with a nice fragrance. And just a pale lavender in color. And be aware of the marketing hype - it does not bloom all summer but with a first heavy flush in spring (now) and then it rests for a while and will offer a sporadic rebloom later in summer.

Most common or French lilacs (Syringa vulgaris and modern hybrids) do very well in the PNW climate and produce masses of flowers. Not sure there is any significant reason why yours shouldn't.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Yes, common lilacs are all over this area. Some are blooming abundantly this year, but do not have the same massed flowering every year. I remember a long time ago watching a TV sequence where the director of the Seattle arboretum, the late Brian O. Mulligan was being interviewed along with another man in charge of a collection in the Midwest or back East. When asked about differences in conditions and results here Mr. Mulligan mentioned that lilacs were not in Seattle what they were in the other region. Since they do grow and bloom here, at the time I wondered what he meant.

Probably the same thing you meant, they do not show an exuberance here that they show in continental climates.

Blue Colorado spruces and white firs look much better in Spokane, too.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

As would be expected these days, Bloomerang is a selling name (in this case a registered trademark) not presented in quotes. The cultivar is 'Penda'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomerang® Syringa x 'Penda' ppaf

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

having lived in new jersey and ohio, i vaguely remember lilacs being a bit more showy then they are here in portland. but then again, everything "spring" seems a bit more amped up there because the winters are so brown and dead.

i wonder if there is any quantifiable difference....

• hvaldez
    13 years ago

A couple of weeks ago we went out to the Lilac Festival at the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens in Woodland WA. It is a 15-20 minute drive north from Portland. This historic garden and farmhouse features the Lilacs created by Hulda Klager herself. They are even selling the Lilacs. Many of the Lilacs seen in this area are from her garden. Here is the link http://www.lilacgardens.com/. The festival runs through tomorrow.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Same location also has a nice little collection of trees, with several of them state records. The house sits in the arboretum-like portion, most of the lilacs are in a field out back.

Would be quite a nice place to live, if there was not a commercial site coming right up to the property line along one side.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Here are the photos I took last year at the Hulda Klager Lilac Garden.

I think lilacs might not seem as showy to you here because there are so many more flowering trees and shrubs here. They just don't stand out as much. Many are so boring out of bloom that people plant them in out of the way places rather than front and center.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hulda Klager Garden

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

No, it would be something like lack of productivity and exuberance shown in suitably continental climates. People certainly are noticing them, tons of them are bought and planted here. Some years "that deep purple lilac" is surely one of the most asked-for shrubs at local garden centers.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner