Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for ideas

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 8:38

My daughter's frontyard has curved rows of trimmed boxwoods in corners and some kind of grass inside. My daugher does not like this grass and wants to plant something different instead.
Maybe some kind of trees that are growing up to 5-6 feet.
It's full sun area.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for ideas

Most "trees" will rapidly exceed 5-6 feet :-) You could look at dwarf conifers but they too might eventually grow larger than desired. Many retail nurseries offer what they term "patio trees", which are shrubs trained to a single trunk in a tree-like form - ninebark, willows, Rose of Sharon, various viburnums, hydrangeas and flowering currants are often offered in this form and will remain smallish.

Or you could just do a selection of smaller flowering shrubs and perennials, using the boxwood as a low border, siimilar to a knot or hedged herb garden.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 10:44

What is her idea of different, specifically? Anything there, or she just knows she does not like the stuff she has now? Patio standards like those mentioned would certainly fit with the formality established by the box edging.

o

piet oudolf does some really fun stuff with contrasting trimmed boxwoods with wild looking perennials.

i would do a google image search of his name and see if you like the style.

Here is a link that might be useful: trimmed hedges contrasted with crazy meadow looking stuff

o

I just got lost in the internets looking at Piet Outdolf's garden designs. Thanks for posting, eeldip!

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 8:35

"Crazy meadow looking stuff" is too transitory for me. Some nice pictures, but what did it look like last week, or next week? What kind of maintenance is involved, especially for the nongardener? Cleaning up Boxwood trimmings in a meadow doesn't look like fun.
I'm not a fan of Boxwood to begin with, so I'm writing with a prejudiced keyboard.

o

I agree with botann. It will be too much work to maintain.
Will look for some standards following advice of gardengal.
Thank you, people

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here