Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Triple Cherry Fizzle

Posted by boxofrox z8 PNW (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 9:43

A number of years ago we planted one of those little trees with 3 types of cherries grafted. Each year it has produced a little more for my wife and the critters to battle over. Between the birds, the squirrels, the coons, or the possums, my wife never seems to get as many as she would like. Anyway, last year the cherries got half ripe only to shrivel up and fall off the tree and ever since then she has been bugging me to ask why. This year the tree which has now matured to about 12 or 13' is absolutely loaded and I'd be in deep voodoo if I didn't ask and somehow prevent a repeat performance. Not only does she want me to try to prevent the fizzle but she's devising ways to try and avoid sharing any of the bumper crop with the interlopers :-)

If anyone could shed some light on the reason for last years fizzle, I would sure appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Triple Cherry Fizzle

My guess would be poor pollination. Cool weather at bloom time and the decline of honey bees means fewer polinators are active. Short of getting out there with a brush and pollinating them yourself, there's not a lot you can do about it this year. You might consider getting some mason bees next year.

o

If it's loaded this year, doesn't that mean it was already polinated ?

o

Unless the cherries progress past the pea-size stage and quickly gain size, they can fall off any time. Try lightly brushing them with your hand and see how well they are fastened to the branch. Maybe this will be your year for cherries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here