Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
agaves

Posted by silvercreek oregon (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 10:01

I just finished making a mound for dryland plants.I've planted three 4" agaves,'silver surfer',parryi'j.c. raulstonand 'blue glow'.I know larger plants tend to be hardier/so I was wondering if I should lift them,and bring them in until they have gained some size.Also I was thinking about useing old windows fastened to rebar to keep them dry in winter.I love agaves and I'am determined to have some succsess with them,any suggestions would help. thanks DOUG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: agaves

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 20, 10 at 15:02

If the minimum temperature for each kind is well above what occurs there then there should be no need to fuss with them - as long as the soil drains well enough.

o

My advice would be to grow them on until they have filled 3 gallon pots, then plant them out in the spring so they have all summer to establish. Keeping rain and snow off them is definitely helpful in reducing the amount of damage they are likely to experience over the first few winters until they are really well established. 'Blue Glow' is probably not going to be hardy but there's no harm in trying I guess!

o

Thanks guys, I think i'll dig them in the fall like ian suggested, until they get bigger.By the way ian love your website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here