Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckbunch_gw

Eden Climber or Mme. Alfred Carriere

beckbunch
12 years ago

I would like a large climber that does well in our climate. I've been looking through the Heirloom Rose catalouge and am interested in Eden and Mm. Alfred Carriere.

Anyone have experience with these? My only climber right now is Autumn Sunset which has been fantastic. No black spot, no spray, just gorgeous.

Also, in addition to disease resistance (I can deal with a little blackspot but don't want it to be covered with it), I'd prefer something that doesn't have terribly vicious thorns, since it's a location that gets lots of traffic.

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I grew Mme. Alfred Carriere on a copper arbor in my old garden - wonderful rose! Big and very vigorous, it bloomed throughout the season with fragrant and lovely tinted flowers (they take on a blush color as they mature). No disease issues of note, although my garden didn't seem to experience a lot of common rose problems anyway.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The coloring of 'Carriere' is more subtle than that of 'Pierre de Ronsard', if that makes a difference for you. The 'Madame' may also mildew on some sites, keeping her watered all summer might prevent this.

• canucklady
    12 years ago

I can't say enough good about Mme Alfred! I began with six of them and love them so much I got four more. We have nearly an acre, half of which is deer-fenced and I wanted something fast-growing, continuous blooming to cover the fence and create a walled garden effect. Fast-growing (15-20' first year), minimal maintenance (light pruning early spring). It can take some shade (dappled afternoon); the blooms are fragrant and plentiful. Sadly I lost one over the wet and cold winter (wet "feet" that then froze) and will replace it with another. Absolutely no disease problem. And it's fragrant and does well as a cut flower.

Thanks to Brad Jalbert (Select Roses, Langley) who recommended this for my needs I haven't been disappointed.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

So the deer don't browse it? The same moist soil that killed one of them during winter would be what made them all grow hugely right from the start. The river giveth and the river taketh away. Many living here seem not to realize how much of an inhibiting effect dry and poor soil conditions have on so many plantings, the rain falling off right in the middle of the growing season is not something seen in many forest regions of the world.

• canucklady
    12 years ago

I think it was the sudden and earlier than usual bursts of cold that froze wetter than usual roots that finished it off. There's been a lot of reports of similar losses after the weird winter we've had here (Vancouver area).

I can say I haven't noticed any damage from deer on the other side of the fence Mme Alfred climbs, although that's not to say there hasn't been any. Deer are voracious for sure! and also very lazy (won't reach higher than they need to and these are now probably beyond their reach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Many Roses Killed by Winter's Early Chill

• tallclover
    12 years ago

I love Mme. AC, I left one at my old Seattle House with stems the size of broomsticks. My newly planted ones are slow to establish, but I have hope.

I also grew Eden, but was disappointed that such a gorgeous bloom had little to no fragrance for me.

Now if you have room for another, I love Souvenir de Madame Leonie Viennot, about as dreamy a rose as they come and hardy in zone 8. Pics below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ROSE: Souvenir de Madame Leonie Viennot

• gardening_fever
    12 years ago

Eden AKA "Pierre de Ronsard" also balls in our wet weather (also from Vancouver area) though otherwise healthy. So it's best to be planted with it's feet in soil that get rain (further from the house) but the main body can lean back against the house so that the eaves prevent too much rain getting onto the rose buds. It is not fragrant but to my eyes the bloom form and color makes my heart skip a beat. MAC is a fine rose and is vigorous, however, she just doesn't do it for me. They were both planted on either side of my front entrance at my previous house and after I moved I missed Eden so much I acquired another plant for my new house whereas I don't really miss MAC. It's all in the eye of the beholder though so I say try both!

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

If you want to see Eden, there is one at the rose garden in Tacoma at Defiance Park. The blooms are balling.

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

That sounds like a great field trip....let's all get in the car and drive all the way to Pt Defiance to see the rose ball. Wouldn't it just be easier to say it's not an OGR ?
    Seriously though, I have had White Eden for years with no more problems than any other rose in my garden including no balling problems. The intricacy in the petals as it opens and the outstanding contrasts it makes with blue and purple clematis alone are worth the price of admission, IMNSVHO.

Is it MAC ? No but no other rose is either :-)

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

That's pretty, boxofrox. I'd never seen one before; I just happened to be at the rose gardens in Tacoma at the park and saw it in person.