Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes touching cloche

Posted by whitman (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 11:10

Hello all. We put out our tomatoes last week after spending a couple weeks indoors growing by the window. It was pretty windy and cool here in seattle the last week so i wrapped some plastic around the cages to protect them. However, because the plants had grown quite a bit indoors, they are pushing up against the plastic which is wet with condensation. My question is if that is a problem or not? Should i cut some holes in the plastic so the moisture can escape?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes touching cloche

Whitman: its a great idea to protect tomatoes in our PNW area, but ideally they should not be touching the wet plastic.I would let some air in to dry them and fix it so they won't be in touch with the wet plastic.
YOU will have great tomatoes. Mine are " being trained" to go out and on the weekend they should be ready.I will also protect them as it makes a big difference.

o

I've had mine out since mid-April. They were under a plastic cloche up until last week, but have gotten so big they were pressing against the top of the cloche, even after I extended the height. They've been uncovered for the past week and seem happier, even with our cool bits of weather. I have blossoms on at least the Sun Golds.

o

scarleta: thanks for confirming my suspicions that the tomatoes would not appreciate the constant moisture. I will probably move the plastic up a few inches on the bottom so it can get some air moving around. Or a couple small holes around the top would allow the moisture to escape but still keep up the temps. We are looking to have some warm weather here this weekend so I can probably take the plastic off for a few days.

o

You are welcome Whitman: I hope you have great tomatoes this Summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here