Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue hostas and sun

Posted by hallerlake Z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 11:20

I have a place where I want some blue hostas. It's in the shade most of the day, but does get sun in the late afternoon. I've read that the surface wax that causes their blueness melts in the sun. Of course, NW sun isn't like sun in a lot of places. Does anyone have any experience? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue hostas and sun

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 31, 09 at 11:23

Hosta sieboldiana did well for years in a west exposure for me.

o

Assuming their water needs are met, I believe you may have an excellent site for the blue hosta.

I believe blue hosta like a little bit--but not too much--sun for their best coloration. A couple of hours of direct sun & even several hours of a combination of sun/dappled shade will not stress this plant. They'll do fine in full shade but will look less "blue" and more "green".

NW summer sun (like Bigfoot, is it myth or does it actually
exist) won't be melting the wax off any plant.

My opinion only

o

There are a number of very sun tolerant hostas. Generally, those with gold or highly variegated foliage develop their best coloring in at least part sun (morning sun is ideal), while the blues or solid greens are extremely shade tolerant and will maintain their color in virtually total shade.

All of my hostas received at least part sun and did very well, but I attribute a lot of that to very good soil conditions. Of the blues, 'Halcyon', 'Elegans', 'Krossa Regal' and 'Blue Angel' are supposed to have maximum sun tolerance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here